outlook to entourage

tomarge

Registered
My sister is moving her files from her PC to an iBook with Entourage. She wants not only to move her contacts but her archived e-mails from Outlook to Entourage. Is this possible? Thanks.

Entourage can import data and settings from several Apple, Eudora, Microsoft, and Netscape apps. If you need to import Outlook settings, however, you are left high and dry. Microsoft provides an import mechanism for bringing over .pst files created by Outlook 2001 (for the Mac). This is done via a free app that is downloadable from the Microsoft website. Although Outlook 2001 can read Outlook:win files, the app does not allow you to convert Outlook files that were created on Windows. Word to the Wise: If you don't have an Exchange account, then you should drop Entourage like a bad habit.

MisterMe said:
Word to the Wise: If you don't have an Exchange account, then you should drop Entourage like a bad habit.
Why? Making a statement like that with no explanation may cause several novice users to ditch something for reasons that you might find compelling, but that they may not care about. Can you elaborate? While I don't typically rush to install Microsoft products on my Mac or PC, I do like Entourage, despite its little quirks. If you have a real reason that I should ditch it, I'd like to be more informed so I can decide. Thanks.

Admittedly, it is a a slow week. But a search of this forum will reveal that there are stretches when a new thread each day related to one or more problems with Entourage is created. I have participated in quite a few of these threads but never started one. What MacOS X users need is a port of Outlook, even if it is limited like the last version (Outlook 2001) to accessing Exchange servers exclusively. Instead, the Microsoft Business Unit foisted a bloated POS on its customers that is not terribly good at anything, but is bad at a lot of things.

Is there a reason why you should not use Entourage? Yes, there is. An email client has the primary purpose of delivering your mail from your mail server to your computer. In my experience, Exchange 2004 will conceal mail that Apple's MacOS X Mail client reveals to be on the server. If email is mission-critical to you, it is not safe to use Entourage exclusively. You need to run another mail client in parallel with Entourage to ensure that you are not missing important messages.

MisterMe said:
Admittedly, it is a a slow week. But a search of this forum will reveal that there are stretches when a new thread each day related to one or more problems with Entourage is created. I have participated in quite a few of these threads but never started one. What MacOS X users need is a port of Outlook, even if it is limited like the last version (Outlook 2001) to accessing Exchange servers exclusively. Instead, the Microsoft Business Unit foisted a bloated POS on its customers that is not terribly good at anything, but is bad at a lot of things.

Is there a reason why you should not use Entourage? Yes, there is. An email client has the primary purpose of delivering your mail from your mail server to your computer. In my experience, Exchange 2004 will conceal mail that Apple's MacOS X Mail client reveals to be on the server. If email is mission-critical to you, it is not safe to use Entourage exclusively. You need to run another mail client in parallel with Entourage to ensure that you are not missing important messages.
I don't connect to an Exchange server, but I haven't found Entourage to be a problem with anything, really. Frankly, I like the integrated task list functions, and calendar, though I think they could both be better. I also like that you can tie email into tasks, which can be tied into projects. In terms of delivering my mail across about 20 different accounts, it does a very good job, and the rules system for moving mail to various folders is also something that liked with Outlook back in the days when I used Outlook. I wish it had Spotlight support, and I wish it had smart folders, like Apple's Mail. I haven't given Mail enough real use to evaluate it, but, from what I saw, it seemed to be lacking some of the features that I liked in Entourage.

Some will argue that an email application should do one thing, and do it well, and that's deliver email. That's a valid point, but I tend to like an app with features that help me organize the many messages I receive daily. In most apps, I tend to only want one or a few features done perfectly, but with email, I expect a bit more. There are quirks with Entourage, but I cannot say that it has caused me problems. Perhaps you are referring to problems reported by people who have used it in conjunction with Exchange. I cannot speak to that, so I won't. I will say (and I can't believe that I find myself defending a Microsoft app) that it does what I want fairly well. I would like to see an update, and the two features listed above are high on my wish list. I would also like to see mail stored in files, rather than a database (for backing mail up more efficiently), but I doubt I'll see this in the near future, if ever.

dmetzcher said:

Some will argue that an email application should do one thing, and do it well, and that's deliver email. That's a valid point, but I tend to like an app with features that help me organize the many messages I receive daily. In most apps, I tend to only want one or a few features done perfectly, but with email, I expect a bit more....
To each his own, I suppose. For me, an email program is supposed to deliver my email. If it doesn't, that is pretty much a dealbreaker. Do you have any idea how many messages you are sacrificing for the ability to organize the rest?

"Microsoft provides an import mechanism for bringing over .pst files created by Outlook 2001 (for the Mac). This is done via a free app that is downloadable from the Microsoft website. Although Outlook 2001 can read Outlook:win files, the app does not allow you to convert Outlook files that were created on Windows. "

This is the fiirst time that I had heard that Outlook files could be moved into Entourage in any sensible fashion. Certainly nothing in the Entourage help files suggests that it's possible. Does anyone have a URL for more info or the download, and can it also import an Outlook PST file from Windows?

It's only for importing Outlook 2001 MACINTOSH version stuff.

But first, we have to definitely know what version of Outlook she's using on the PC. Often, people refer to Outlook Express when saying "Outlook", which is an entirely different beast from the application that comes with Office for Windows.

Either way, I think the most simple way is to install the free version of Eudora on both the PC and the Mac. On the PC, you import things from Outlook to Eudora, then export Eudora's settings to the Mac, there import it into Eudora and then let the final mail handler handle the import from Eudora.

MisterMe said:
Do you have any idea how many messages you are sacrificing for the ability to organize the rest?
None. If what you say is true about Entourage concealing mail on Exchange servers, this doesn't actually affect me, but I find it strange that Microsoft's own product conceals mail on their server platform that Apple Mail reveals. If this is a real issue, I'd have to agree with you that Entourage certainly has issues that need to be resolved in order for the product to be viable. To answer your real question: I would not sacrifice getting my mail for being able to organize it. But, on the other hand, I get too much mail, and might be happy if Entourage lost a few messages for me. ;)

Also...
Didn't Apple's Mail app just start fully supporting Exchange as of OS 10.4? "Better connectivity" or something...I don't remember. I just remember reading something about issues with Mail and Exchange being resolved in 10.4, so someone else can fill in the blanks.

dmetzcher said:
.... I find it strange that Microsoft's own product conceals mail on their server platform that Apple Mail reveals. If this is a real issue, I'd have to agree with you that Entourage certainly has issues that need to be resolved in order for the product to be viable.
Oh, no! Microsoft would never sell a product that is incompatible with other products in its own product line :rolleyes: On a serious note, my firm has also implemented web access to its Exchange server. I ensure that I am not missing anything by periodically checking the web client. In the past, I simply ran Mail in parallel with Entourage 2004. This is no longer possible since our IT staff "upgraded" our Exchange server rendering it incompatible with Mail. This exchange has dealt with the issue of getting email from Exchange via Entourage. While not dealbreakers, Entourage 2004 has other problems that are mind-boggling in their stupidity. I said it before and I will say it now: "Mac users need a working MacOS X port of Outlook. Entourage 2004 should be cast onto a dungheap."
dmetzcher said:
Also...
Didn't Apple's Mail app just start fully supporting Exchange as of OS 10.4? "Better connectivity" or something...I don't remember. I just remember reading something about issues with Mail and Exchange being resolved in 10.4, so someone else can fill in the blanks.
Yes, it is true that Apple added Exchange settings to Mail with MacOS X 10.4. Prior to MacOS X 10.4, Exchange users were forced to use IMAP when accessing their email. It is also true that Microsoft added Exchange settings to its POS with Entourage 2004. Up through Entourage v.X, Exchange users were forced to access their email via IMAP--just like they did with Mail.

Dj macintosh said:
Do not use entorage(sp) it sucks because it scares me when it boots and just use mail apple are better programmers
What are you talking about: "...it scares me when it boots..." ??

after you convert everthing from outlook to mac....is there a way to ever convert it back to .pst if I decide to go back to a PC? Could I just import all the emails with outlook?

http://scriptbuilders.net/files/exportimportentourage1.3.9.html

A collection of over 50 scripts to export and import almost everything - Contacts, Groups, Calendar Events, Tasks, Notes, Messages, Folders, Accounts, Signatures, Mailing Lists and Categories - from one identity of Entourage X or 2004 to any other, to and from Entourage 2001, and to transfer Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes to and from other PIM programs on the Mac and Windows, with special converters for Microsoft OUTLOOK, Excel and other programs.

Release Notes: v1.3.9 is for both Entourage 2004 and Entourage X, and will work in Tiger OS 10.4, Panther OS 10.3 and Jaguar OS 10.2. v1.3.9 fixes bugs in several of the Excel scripts (see Version Info doc for details). In addition, all the converter scripts from Entourage to Outlook or "Others" had a bug which would occur only in the very rare case if your Finder as installed by OS 10.3 or 10.4 is unscriptable.

macresource said:
http://scriptbuilders.net/files/exportimportentourage1.3.9.html

A collection of over 50 scripts to export and import almost everything - Contacts, Groups, Calendar Events, Tasks, Notes, Messages, Folders, Accounts, Signatures, Mailing Lists and Categories - from one identity of Entourage X or 2004 to any other, to and from Entourage 2001, and to transfer Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes to and from other PIM programs on the Mac and Windows, with special converters for Microsoft OUTLOOK, Excel and other programs.

Release Notes: v1.3.9 is for both Entourage 2004 and Entourage X, and will work in Tiger OS 10.4, Panther OS 10.3 and Jaguar OS 10.2. v1.3.9 fixes bugs in several of the Excel scripts (see Version Info doc for details). In addition, all the converter scripts from Entourage to Outlook or "Others" had a bug which would occur only in the very rare case if your Finder as installed by OS 10.3 or 10.4 is unscriptable.
Doesn't look like it works with the email messages though. Contacts and other things are easy to move over, even if you just had to re-create them. Moving the mail is a different story.

Hi folk … I am about to shift across from Wintel (Windows XP Professional) to Mac… sadly I am technically utterly incompetent even if as a user I am reasonably capable… this is my first posting… but judging from the valuable advice I expect to be an avid reader! If not contributor (for now)…

… like all determined switchers I face the perennial challenge of converting:
1. all my Outlook 2003 (not express) Mail across to Apple Mail or Entourage
2. all my Outlook 2003 Contacts across to Apple Address Book or Entourage

Questions - General =====
1. What mail programme do people recommend if I am permanently shifting to using Apple Mac (I see a lot of criticism of Entourage, but none of Apple Mail)?
2. What is the easiest way to convert 1000´s of Outlook Contacts across to Apple Address Book or Entourage?

Question – Synchronizing HP iPAQ data with Outlook ======
I sync my HP iPAQ with my Outlook (Windows) using Active Sync routinely can I sync it with Outlook (Macintosh)?
Is there another Mail programme such data from the HP Compaq Ipaq can be synchronized with?

Questions - Based on research gleaned from these and other pages
I understand that:
- Outlook 2001 (Macintosh) can be imported to entourage.
- Outlook 2001 (Windows) cannot be imported to entourage.

++Options that I have seen mentioned by others but do not clearly ´get´:
1. some have mentioned that with MS exchange on a server it is possible .. however this is not clear to me, how does this work?
2. Others have mentioned that with Outlook Express it is possible to move all information… can Outlook Express import all Outlook data so it can then be exported to Entourage or Apple Mail and Apple Address Book?
3. another has mentioned importing all outlook data into Eudora – then importing all data into Apple Mail or Entourage – does this apply to all address information and mails?
4. Others have mentioned that Apple Mail has exchange settings and thus fully supports exchange as of MacOS 10.4. And that Microsoft has added Exchange settings to its POS with Entourage 2004. Does this mean that it is now possible to import contact info and mails direct to Apple Mail, Apple Address Book and Entourage from Outlook or am I correct in understanding that this can only be conducted through Exchange on a server?:
5. Has anyone used 02M from www.littlemachines.com? I´d love to hear how it works!

... I look forward to hearing ...

Back