Picture Viewer

John Varela

Registered
As a new Mac user and after having used PMView (OS/2) and Irfanview (Windows), I find Preview too limited a picture viewer and iPhoto too cumbersome.

Is there a picture viewer for Mac that's comparable to either PMView or Irfanview?

that's interesting, i find preview to be a lot more powerful than Windows Picture/Fax viewer. what features, specifically, do you find lacking?

that's interesting, i find preview to be a lot more powerful than Windows Picture/Fax viewer. what features, specifically, do you find lacking?

I'm not talking about Windows Picture/Fax viewer, which I can't recall ever having used. I'm comparing Preview to the free IrfanView program (http://www.irfanview.com/) for Windows or the shareware PMView (http://www.pmview.com/) for OS/2 and Windows.

For example, open Preview, click File/Open File, and open an image. Now try to view another image in the same directory. Both IrfanView and PMView let you do that just by pressing the arrow keys. If there's a way to do that in Preview other than returning to File/Open File, I don't know what it is. And, if you want to select all the images in the opened directory, Preview won't let you use Command-A, you must go to the top of the list, select an image, go to the other end of the list and shift-click on the last image.

IrfanView and PMView both have image editing capabilities that are comparable to iPhoto, far better than the limited ability in Preview. And so forth and so on. Check the web sites to see what I mean.

IrfanView is a jack-of-all-trades media viewer. PMView Pro appears to very much like GraphicConverter, albeit much less elegant. Long story short, download and install GraphicConverter.

IrfanView is a jack-of-all-trades media viewer. PMView Pro appears to very much like GraphicConverter, albeit much less elegant. Long story short, download and install GraphicConverter.

I downloaded Graphic Converter and it's close to what I want but right off the bat I notice a couple of annoying characteristics:

I prefer to set the size of the window and then have the viewer scale the photo to fill that window. I can't find a Preference setting in Graphic Converter that will do that; either GC resizes the window to suit itself or it displays the image at fixed size within the window.

I have a second display attached to this iMac. Sometimes I want the pictures on one screen and sometimes on the other. Graphic Converter insists on opening images in the main screen. That is, open an image, move the window to the second screen, open the next image and the window jumps back to the first screen.

Is there some way to change this behavior, or is there another viewer possibility?

For example, open Preview, click File/Open File, and open an image. Now try to view another image in the same directory. Both IrfanView and PMView let you do that just by pressing the arrow keys. If there's a way to do that in Preview other than returning to File/Open File, I don't know what it is. And, if you want to select all the images in the opened directory, Preview won't let you use Command-A, you must go to the top of the list, select an image, go to the other end of the list and shift-click on the last image.

Image Browser has nice previewing features and like most ftp programs it will open an image in your preferred editing app. I own Photoshop so it's my choice.

http://www.simulacrum.net.nz/imagebrowser.php

Back