problem installing Dell all-in-one printer

maw

Registered
I've seen previous discussions regarding problems installing a Dell printer. I have a Dell 962 wireless printer. I did find the compatible Mac driver R92834 and I did install the driver. However, when I try to add the printer, I can't find the printer in the drop down list. Am I supposed to be looking for a Lexmark printer? If so, I have no idea what model is equivalent to the Dell 962 AIO. The model sticker is 4409-0d1. A search for this model returns nothing. I'm a newbie with Macs. OS is 10.4.3. Got any ideas?

Thanks
MaryAnn

I have zero experience with getting a Dell to work, but if it is going to work, you would have to click More Printers to bring up the proprietary drivers/comm choices and it should be something like Lexmark IP or Lexmark wireless or Lexmark TCP/IP, etc. I think you would need to know the IP address, too.

One person out of a hundred or so figured out how to use a Lexmark driver for a Dell printer, and I don't remember what web site I read that on. If you've seen that, please tell me where to read more.

Good luck.

I did use the IP address and also checked More Printers. I do get a list of Lexmark printers but have no idea which one to choose. I guess my question is when I installed the driver I assumed it would show up inthe More Printers list. Of course, I don't know what the driver is named in the printed list. Maybe Dell printers are not Mac friendly ??

MaryAnn

Well, since Dell doesn't offer a driver, yes, I would say they aren't Mac-friendly.

Don't want to sound definitive, 'cause I've never tried this myself, but I think you're out of luck from what I've read.

Guten-print/gimp-print is the same software (now named Guten-print).
And the same situation - one must figure out which driver to use (no Dells listed), usually meaning one of the Lexmark models might work, or might not.

Easier to sell your Dell printer, and get one that you have a reasonable chance of getting to work on your Mac. That means a popular brand printer, such as most anything else except Dell... :)

Back