Using a Sony mp3 Walkman with Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by martinpkillen, Dec 19, 2006.

1. martinpkillen

martinpkillen Registered

I have been given a Sony Walkman MP3 player, but no software. I can drag and drop tracks onto the player since it appears as a removable drive, but the player doesn't recognize the tracks as being there.

Could you tell me what software I should use to transfer mp3 files to my Sony NW-A1000 walkman please?

Thanks

Martin

2. fryke

fryke Moderator Staff Member Mod

IT Administrator
    Windows. And Sony's walkman software only available for Windows. Sucks, but that's Sony for you. :/ I'd sell it and get an iPod nano instead.

3. Satcomer

Satcomer In Geostationary Orbit

Looking toward the sky
  4. nataku

nataku Registered

I also like to buy a Sony Network Walkman, but I want to be sure that the application you gave works. Please tell us if it does.

Thanks

5. fryke

fryke Moderator Staff Member Mod

IT Administrator
    It works for my SE mobile phone which is called "walkman" (w810i), but I don't think it handles ATRAC files or anything, it simply copies MP3 and AAC files to the right places. Look at the app to see what devices it supports. Maybe yours is listed?

6. silentwings

silentwings Registered

just to let you know, my brand new Sony NWZ-S638F works well with MacOS X 10.5. It's like an USB drive where i can put folders and subfolders with mp3 and m4a music. As soon as i disconnect the device, it creates some kind of directory index and i can play every track without problems.

7. marla_signer

marla_signer Registered

Hello,
    I have the same problem, I recently switched to Mac. It only recognizes my Sony as a usb mass storage and that's ok, I can drag and drop. The problem is that when I connect it, it opens !photo. I close !photo and when I try to eject my mp3 player, !photo opens again. In the end, it won't eject properly because the !photo keeps on opening again. Is there anything I can do so that it doesn't open !photo?

thank you

8. DeltaMac

DeltaMac Tech

Try opening your System Preferences, then CDs & DVDs pref pane. You should see one setting there that will open iPhoto - probably for pictures, so change that drop down to something else ("Ignore" should work fine)

9. silentwings

silentwings Registered

i was also unable to eject properly, so i just unplug the mp3 player in the end.

10. flori72

flori72 Registered

Hi,

if you click on the eject button, you have a 1 second timezone where you can unplug the cable without error message. If you wait too long then the sony comes back.

I imported a huge mp3 collection from my PC on my Macbook, and although the drag&drop worked, the album art was not displayed on the Sony NWZ-S639. In order to solve that, I embedded the covert art in each track. This is how I did it:

Convert the id3 tags to version 2.3 (or less but 2.4 won't work on the Sony). To do that, you can select all the song in iTunes, right click and choose "convert id3 tags" then choose 2.3.

Install that script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart in iTunes

Select all tracks and click on the script (it is now in the iTunes menu)

Now you can drag&drop a single track in the MUSIC folder of the Walkman and the cover art appears on it.

Hope this helps.

Note: if you only have a few albums with missing art and don't want to install the script, you can select the album picture on the bottom left, right click on it and click on "copy", then you select all the tracks, choose "get info" and paste into the bottom right box that says "album art". You need to do that one album at a time.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010