Where's a good place to buy OSX software?

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I have just made the big jump from OS9 to OSX and am now faced with having to get updates and new software (I am sure many of you have been there). Here are my popular programs. Could someone please suggest a good place to update or buy these?

photoshop, illustrator, coral, quicken, drop stuff, drop zip, microsoft office (actually I hate MS programs), Norton Utilities, BB edit, Mariner Write.

Also, I was wondering if I should get the CD's for these programs by snail mail or just download them and burn CD's as backups?

Many thanks!
Ron

Some updates are available online, IIRC, check the sites or the "update feature". Do a search on Macupdate, versiontracker or the OS X download site on Apple's homepage. Some updates also can be found on CD's packaged with magazines, like Macworld, Macfan, Mac* etc.
For some, however, there ar eno updates, but you need to buy the new special OS X version, this is the case with Office AFAIK.

BBedit you can get from versiontracker, ... Norton utilities isn't very useful for OS X. Photoshop and Illustrator may have different (upgrade) prices if you are buying them in Japan or US ... Welcome on boards :)

bbedit and MarinerWrite are easy, both latest versions run on both OS 9 and OS X. The big cost is going to be Photoshop (vers 7), Illustrator (vers 10), and Office X. the first 2 should continue to be usable in either 9 or X(maybe you already have these), The Office X only runs in OS X.

Thank you all for your comments. I am a new member of the board and really like the fast responses. Giaguara, thanks for your note on Norton, I almost bought it. DeltaMac, yes, Photoshop is very expensive. I am thinking of buying Elements instead. I most work on .jpg files for the web. Should that do the job?

Photoshop Elements will probably suit you fine, unless you need to work in workspaces besides RGB or other advanced stuff like that. It's got some things I don't like, but it's got other features that I wish the full version of Photoshop had.

I'd recommend you go with Techtool Pro and Disk Warrior as two excellent utilities to replace Norton.

arden, thank you for your recommendations. May I ask why you feel those two utilities will work better than Norton on OSX?

Also, do I need virus protection for Mac. In the ten years I have owned Macs, I never gotton a virus. I just just love to tell that to Windows users.

I would recommend TTP and DW regardless of whether you get Norton or not because both are excellent utilities that do their jobs extremely well, which is more than I can say for Norton.

You should be fine without virus protection.

Welcome to the X, you're gonna love it.

As Giaguara mentioned in the other thread, Open Office is very nice, open source office suit that does what MS Office does except that it doesn't crash and loose your work quite as well ;)

www.openoffice.org if I'm not mistaken.

You need X11 from apple too, but it's not all that hard.

arden:
I ordered DW like you suggested. Do i still need Norton for speed disk? What if I went down to OS9 and ran speed disk, would that just help the OS9 part of the disk or the whole deal? Or can I just get by with DW? Hate to have to buy Norton again for X.

elektro:
Did you ever try to order anything in the US from Uzbekistan? How did you like the service? Years ago it used to be so easy to go online and order stuff in the US from overseas. Now no one wants to accept a foreign credit card. I ordered about $1000 worth of stuff from Mac Warehouse the other day. I got the confirmation email but when I called on the phone they couldn't for the life of them find the order in their system. I tried for two days. Finally gave up and went to MacZone.

Ron

I just realized something... i'll have to pay full price for 10.3, no more student discount. The joys of being a professional, although I purchased non educational versions of Adobe Wed suite and Flash, but still, I'm already missing college.

I'm a good 231 miles away from Rochester, RIT had a great campus store with a section dedicated to Apple, everything new, they get it first, some relationship with Apple. I have my BFA, no masters no time soon for me.

Sign up at your local community college for autoshop or something, or something tech-related if you need that to get the student discount. Find something you'd like to learn that doesn't cost much to take.

Ron: I doubt you need Norton at all. What does Speed Disk do? There's probably similar functionality in DW or TTP.

Back