10.1.3 Observation....

WhateverJoe

echo $row['what_tha'];
After installing and rebooting... I was looking around to see what all was done... can not find much other than the application fixes and what not.. but I have noticed one very nice thing overall ... and it just downed on me ...

I have seen less of the Color Wheel .. I mean much much less of the annoying color wheel telling me I can't click or do anything until it goes away... Could be just me or something .. but I Swear the thing is poping up much less after the update :)

I updated to 10.1.3 on all of my three machines but can't see a damn thing changed. Maybe that's good but I wish Apple was a little more descriptive in the SOftware Update dialogue box. After all, they are asking users to download 30MB for 10.1.2 and not another 17MB for 10.1.3. That's a whole lot of downloadin'.

G

I found something changed... My backup Program "Tri-Catalog" which was in my Applications folder is now gone!

Just restarted from the update and found a "?" in my dock... that's right broken link, but the program itself is GONE!

Nice, I love it when updates cause you to reinstall an application for no reason at all.

I'm off to find what other applications have gone missing.

i just tried switching to genie effect in my dock,
just for kicks (hadn't tried since 10.1.1 actually),
but it whizzes like, well, what i'd call normal!!
(on my g4dp500 fwiw)

minimizing is slightly faster than max'g.

Under 10.1.2, my B&W G3 (upgraded to a G4) would play DVDs just fine. Since installing 10.1.3, the system tells me "This machine configuration is not supported".

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas? Thanks.

---Bill

Well these are a few things that I have found.

1. VCDs are now readable under Mac OS X. Athough I can't seem to get any of them to play, I keep getting I/O errors when using "vlc" or Quicktime Player - I even tried running FreeVCD and SimpleVCD under classic but neither could begin playing the VCDs. Under OS 9 it works flawlessly.

2. My Kodak USB CompactFlash card reader now works with the drivers made for 10.1.1 but which were rendered useless under 10.1.2.

Looks good from here.

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
I found that the once generic buttons on a compacted iTunes window now have the usual + - and X

Mine doesn't do this! They just light up -- no symbols in the buttons! I'm jealous!

Originally posted by dlookus
You have to be using the Graphite theme.

Sweet... ;) Thanks. I switch back and forth between Graphite and Blue a lot, but I've had it on blue for a while... got a nice, little, colorful scheme going on that's easy on the eyes -- if I'm on Graphite, I've got a very clean, sterile, gray theme going on...

Thanks again!

> Is it just me or can classic apps actually save to the OSX Desktop now?

I don't see that on my 10.1.3 system...

I swear I saved from flash to my OSX desktop. (?????)
It showed the Classic and OSX Desktop together (same as always), but it didn't go to OS9!!!!
I can't explain it.

With 10.1.3 everytime I login the screen goes grey for a few seconds. I also noticed that scrolling seems to be better for me.

10.1.3 made my Sony 8x portable cd-rw work!
osx still lags quite a bit, and I still see the color wheel periodically. ohh my sucky computer cant handle crap!

And my DVD still works in the iMac. Now I'm glad I didn't buy a B&W G3!

I just hope I get a G4 iMac or G4 tower soon! ;)

does anyone get weird column auto-resizing
in list view?

The finder keeps auto-narrowing the name column,
truncating names, about a 1/2 sec after I release
the mouse button from manually resizing the column.

I swear I saved from flash to my OSX desktop. (?????)
It showed the Classic and OSX Desktop together (same as always), but it didn't go to OS9!!!!
I can't explain it.

I've noticed that if you're running a Classic application, in the "Open file" dialog box, if you go to the desktop, the files you see there will be from the OS X desktop AND the OS 9 desktop. However, if you SAVE to the desktop from within a Classic application, your files will only be on the OS 9 desktop. They won't show up on the OS X desktop -- you'll have to navigate the OS 9 hard drive and look in the "Desktop Items" folder to find them from within the finder. HOWEVER, they WILL show up in the "Open file" dialog box.

Do you still have the "Desktop Items [OS 9]" folder (or whatever it's called) still on your OS X desktop? I've long since deleted mine, and simply open my OS 9 hard drive and look in the Desktop Items folder for those items...

I figured it out.
Classic now makes a note of where you opened files from. If I open a flash file from the OSX desktop, make a new one and save it . It saves on the OSX desktop.

I figured it out.
Classic now makes a note of where you opened files from. If I open a flash file from the OSX desktop, make a new one and save it . It saves on the OSX desktop.

Yup -- this works... but only because it's saving to "[OS X disk]/users/[username]/Desktop/"

It won't save to the OS X desktop if you pull down the path menu thingy in the "Save file" dialog and select "Desktop" (or hit Command-D, which you can do to automatically select the desktop)... in that case, it would save to the OS 9 desktop. You can also save a file to the OS X desktop from within a Classic application by saving to that same "[OS X disk]/users/[username]/Desktop/" path.

Back