10.2.3 is out

Haven't downloaded yet. As I usually never did so soon after a release. Though, before I had 56k. Now I have Cable so I'm more anxious to download it. But I am afraid. Though an update NEVER killed my system or messed anything up. But you NEVER know.

ATTENTION Anyone experiencing the "Missing Widget" problem:
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11386

I have found the problem and explain it there.

Basically, it means that Theme makers HAVE to RECOMPILE their Themes to include Apple's newly added "MetalClose/Minimize/Zoom" widgets. Oops!

Apple REALLY doesn't want custom Themes. They NEVER update an Extras.rsrc file to add resources between point versions. They usually do it at the begining of a whole point. Like 10.1, 10.2, etc. Not 10.2.1 or 10.2.2 or 10.1.1, etc.

I just installed OS X.2 today and was trying to download the 2 updates (I assume you have to install 10.2.2 first, then 10.2.3, right? Can I skip 10.1?)

Anyhow, I tried the Apple site several times today and even at 3:00 a.m. I only get a partial download (huge file sizes) and then the IE Download manager says that it is waiting for data while the download is at a complete standstill.

What should I do?

Conrado

Sorry if this is gonna bother you guys...but

WE DO NOT NEED a "hey an updateis out" thread

1) We are all able to read
2) We all surf the web (especially Apple's site)
3) We all have SW update that does that function for us
4) if everytime a new update comes out we make a new thread...we would never stop

Thank you for posting this gigi, I wouldn't have known that the new version was out unless you told me!

dlloyd..... You are welcome, :D

BBenve......we don't necessarily "need" any of the threads on this board but they can be informative for those of us who do not visit the Apple site everyday nor check the SW Update everyday.

I came here after I saw the update to see if anyone had experienced problems. No bad news, so I installed. Flawless so far. An now I'll share. Threads, like TV channels, need not all be explored.

For the person experiencing the partial download, my advice is to try later, like 48 hours later. Apple uses the Akamai network for distributing their wares. Akamai is an invisible distributed caching system which allows you to download from a more local source while the data remains coherent with the original. If the caching server near you doesn't have the file in its entirety, then no matter how fast it can give it to you it won't have the whole thing. And neither will you. Give the Akamai network a little bit of time to catch up and try again later.

I happen to be on a University with an on-LAN Akamai server. Apple's downloads friggin fly. I have 100mbit between me and that server. I was getting an average of 2MB per second on that huge download, with spikes over 3MB per second. This exceeds the campus internet bandwidth, proving the usefulness of the system. yay. :)

Anyway, I have experienced no difference whatsoever thus far after installing the update. This makes it both anticlimactic, and anxiety free. Grab it if you got the bandwidth I suppose.

I haven't really done any major testing, but the update went flawlessly. The Finder seems much faster, and some operations, like the opening and closing of Cocoa app's windows seem much faster. Could just be my perception though.

I have the same feeling Lord Ophidian has: some faster operations in Finder. Plus some nice UI in iChat... but that's all I can see.

I feel 51M are a *bit* too much for so little new features !

Any issues with Fink or XDarwin? - with 10.2.3 that is.

A few people had some install issues and there is a thread on this - systems hanging up on reboot. Glad I'm not the rat lab this time around.

I didn't see anything about any finder improvements or any other real system improvements in the 10.2.3 read me, nor have I noticed any improvements in system speed or navigation. If someone knows that there actually was improvements to the finder, can you tell us, because the documentation and Apple say nothing about it.

This is all strange because the one thing I definately have noticed, besides the nice looking inset ichat buttons, is that my genie effect is much smoother now. It used to sputter about halfway through the transformation but now the whole process is smooth. Maybe I'm crazy.

HELP. With the update, I can't open Mail, iChat, Illustrator. Can't access Network pane in System Prefs and the right half of my menu bar is empty. Used to have volume, displays and some other things. Ahh. Haven't updated the other two putes yet. Anybody else????

Back