17" Pb Ram

applewhore

Registered
Hi

Am I right in thinking that when they bring out the G5 PB, it will use a different kind of RAM (as per difference between G4 PowerMac and new G5)?

I've got the chance to get the new 17" PB now, or in January (when I reckon Apple will upgrade it again) - but don't want to spec up on expensive RAM if it's not going to be transferable to the G5 when that comes out!

A nice "problem" I've got, I know - but I'm in two minds as to what to do!

If only I knew whether the G5 was going to be early 2004 or late 2004!!!

Thanks

Ed

PS - Does anyone know where you can buy 1GB RAM online? The only indication of price I can find is on the Apple Store (and it ain't cheap!)

:eek:

Well the 200pins DDR Ram running at 333MHz is the fastest notebook memory yet. I am pretty sure apple won't invent a new ram for the G5. So, that's why I could almost bet the G5 will run on the PC2700 as well. I think you can max your ram for your alubook 17'' without any fear...

Not many sell the 1 GB modules to give you the max of 2 GB But TransIntl is one Their price today 10-6-2003, is $649US for each stick, so upgrading to 2 GB is $1300 (Apple Store is $1100 - that doesn't seem so high today!)

Zammy-Sam / DeltaMac -

Thanks for your replies!

Good to hear that you don't expect the RAM to change - I'd hate to upgrade and then find I'd wasted that side of the purchase by not being able to "take it with me"!

Apple cheaper than 3rd party RAM sellers? Will wonders never cease?! I thought it was a "given" that Apple charged more for RAM?

Never mind - I'm off to investigate further!

Thanks again guys...
Ed

:D

I think the difference in price is not what it appears. You purchase from an outside supplier outright. When you option an Apple order, you trade out the original, which adds 1100 (purchasing with a single 1 GB chip is $400, adding one 1 GB to make 2 GB adds $700 more, try to figure out that math!?)
Apple may not change to different type RAM when (and if) they go to a PB G5, but the reports seem to indicate that RAM specs are quite tight about what will or won't work, even with the'same' memory, so you can't assume that memory you have already purchased for your PBG4 will also work in a PB G5, that is an big unknown at this time, even if the memory type stays the same....:cool:

I appreciate the fact that you can't guarantee an unknown (otherwise, it wouldn't be an unknown!) but it certainly makes purchasing decisions more difficult!

I get the impression that Apple will bring out a G5 PB sometime next year (and probably towards the latter part of it) - I've found someone who wants to buy my current 17" for a sensible price for both of us - but now don't know whether to go for it now, or wait until January, when Apple is bound to bring out an updated model...

Losing $1,100 on RAM (which won't hold its value against a future resale of the PB - as prices for RAM inevitably drop over time) isn't a pleasant thought for a years' computing!

As they say in this part of the world... "what to do, lah?!"
:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for your input, DeltaMac...

Back