17" Studio Display CRT dying???? :(

Pengu

Digital Music Pimp
Hiyas..

I just bought a 120Gb hdd for my g4 400. I took out the original 20gb drive, and put the 120 in the caddy with the 40gb drive i bought 18 months ago. I reinstalled the system, got most of the stuff setup. I left it doing a calibration on the monitor, and went to do something else. I came back, and the calibration had failed, presumably because the monitor was set to sleep after 1 minute. Now, the whole picture (including the black space around the picture itself) looks wrong. the colours aren't "dark enough" if that makes sense. what should be black looks like a dark grey.

Anywho. I knocked the video card slightly when i took out the hdd caddy to put the 120 in, but it worked fine when i turned it back on, and it wasn't much of a knock, so i dont think thats it..

Any ideas? Im gonna try resetting the P-RAM.

I hope this works..

reset pram.
turn off, unplug power, uninstall video card, let the system rest for say 10 minutes.
then get everything back to normal and turn on the computer.

hope this helps you in any way

If you left your computer on while doing an automatic color-calibration on the monitor and the monitor fell asleep partway through the process, then the color calibration software will have calibrated the monitor all wrong, since your monitor wasn't displaying any image/colors when it fell asleep.

Turn off the monitor sleep option (and, preferrably, the system sleep) while you re-calibrate the monitor. That should return your colors to normal.

I already tried that once ElDiablo. But you're right. Once I deleted the profiles, it was fine. Problem is, I accidently deleted the factory default for "Apple Studio Display". I then thought, great, i can get it off my old System drive (20 gig, temporarily in FW case) and just copy it across. For some reason that drive now refuses to mount, or do anything. If i plug it in with FW, it appears in System Profiler as a "Firewire Device" and thats it. with USB it appears as a USB to ATAPI adapter, but no more joy. This only seemed to happen after i reset the PRAM. When i get home i'm gonna try the 20gig in the zip-drive bay and see if it works there.. thanks guys.

Ok just to update everyone. The 120Gb is performing wonderfully, and with the new RAM i put in a few months ago, I'm finding i can use things i couldnt before (default things i turned off and never tried again with new ram) like the genie effect doesnt kill me any more!. It's smooth, beautiful and instantaneous. anywho.

The 20gb drive is fine. unplugged right now, but fine. The problem was a $5 IDE ribbon in my firewire enclosure. the plug on the drive (CD-RW/HDD/etc) end had started to separate, so not all the pins were making contact. I'm gonna see if i can get a replacement this afternoon. And i discovered a few other things along the way. A) it isnt possible to safely mount a HDD in the ZIP drive, the mounting holes are in the wrong place. B) Its impossible to plug the power into a HDD in the ZIP bay after screwing it into the metal caddie thing, theres a little lip in the way. C) There is a third HDD power cable tucked away down the bottom, presumably for SCSI setups (or ATA cards i guess)

On the display issue, I finally got a profile from the old HDD, only to find out that a "Apple Studio Display" profile had been recreated somehow. Oh well.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Back