2nd hard drive jumper setting HELP PLEASE!

karavite

Registered
Okay, first I have searched the forums and found related posts, but this is a little different.

I am installing a 120 GB IBM Deskstar ATA 66 drive in a DP 1 GHz that has the "stock" IBM ATA 100 installed.

The G4 manual says only ATA 100 drives can be installed in the rear bay so I installed the ATA 66 120 GB in the front bay. The G4 manual says I must have this second drive set to "cable select." The drive has a little sticker on it that shows various jumper settings with two for cable select - why two!!! I tried both and the drive is not seen by disk utilities after restarting. I looked up the drive (it seems IBM sold off its HD business to Hitachi) and found this page (http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/d120gxp/d120gxpjum.htm) with a variety of jumper settings. I tried a few of these with no luck - I have no idea which one is appropriate (16 Logica head...). MacMall tech support is not open until Monday, and I am not too confident they will even know. The drive came with NOTHING for documentation. Seems like MacMall could save some tech support call money by giving Mac customers some information!

Thinking MacMall has some information on this, I went to their site and looked up the drive. Though my packing slip says ATA 66, the same product number on their web page says it is an ATA 100!!! (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=757746).

So, I will try this drive in the rear bay and play with the jumper settings for cable select. Gees o pete, can anyone in this world of computers possibly comprehend that some of us can get by as long as they give us CONSITENT and ACCURATE descriptions or instructions?

Could this be a new record - three posts to myself and the issue resolved? Any way, it may help someone some time, so I will leave it all up.

Turns out the bay was the problem. I guess it must be an ATA 100 drive no matter what my MacMall packing slip says and therefore it belongs in the rear bay. Setting the jumpers was easy - it seems "cable select" is the setting for ALL drives in the new G4s and I simply matched the jumper setting from the master drive. The proper jumper settings to follow (I assume for any drive in a Mac) are for "16 Logical head settings." I found some sites that suggest that if your stock drive is a Maxtor you need to change the master drive jumper settings, but these posts (xcelerate your Mac) were referring to older G4s and I'm not convinced they apply to the new G4s.

P.S. My Apple manual had one missing item - to pull out the rear drive bay, it made no mention that you had to remove a small screw at the top of the drive bay (it only mentioned the clip). I saw the darn screw from the beginning, but assuming an Apple manual would never have an error, I was ready to call it a night after yanking on that darn drive bay after popping the clip. The screw is very hard to get to to put it back in. Although I know it was extremely foolish, I used a slightly magnetized screw driver to put it back in - there was no other way to get it back in there! Of course the front bay only has a clip and no screw.

Well, I suppose I should thank myself for all my replies to myself and close this thread!

... I'd put a 60gig Deskstar in a grape iMac and it never would go to sleep. I had the jumpers set to 16 heads, Device 0 (master). I've now set the jumpers to cable select, & will soon see if that does the trick.

Back