9.2.2 , AppleTalk, and Midi on an OSX LAN

stizz

gorilla beta tester
Today I stumbled on something odd. I was on our composers workstation (a dual 1.25 G4 running 9.2.2 Using DP3 with a ProTools back end) and as I was rebooting it, it asked me if I wanted to connect to a shared drive on another mac (dual 800 G4 running jaguar). This struck me as odd because appletalk was off. This particular mac is connected to our LAN, but since it is mainly used for music production (uses a farkload of midi) we keep both appletalk and filesharing off.
On a whim I entred the login and password of the drive and it popped up on my desktop. WTF? Appletalk was off?

So I found an alias of the remote drive in question in the Servers folder inside the System Folder. After trashing it, I no longer got the login windo at boot up, but was able to see and mount any drive on any mac in our network (i admin these macs) by using the network browser.

If this has always been a "feature" or "ability" of 9.2.2, then I'm stunned. I always thought appletalk had to be on for a OS9 machine to talk to others.

Can anyone offer some insight on this?

Hmm,

I concure with your perception that Appletalk has to be on for network communications to work if you're only using the APPLETALK protocol.

That being said however, sounds like you're using TCP/IP like the rest of the world and that might be the issue even if Appletalk is off.

One other issue that isn't so apparent is if you're Apple devices are using separate PCI cards instead of the traditional ports. The PCI cards may have their own software ROMS, like wake on LAN, etc. that govern things differently than the LAN connections in the Mac themselves.

You can check on that in your TCP/IP Controll Panel. Good luck.

Back