A crashed computer leads to bad applications.

Webbs

Registered
While surfing the web and listing to itunes, the song I was listing to started to skip and the screen popped up saying (in several languages) that my computer must be restarted. After restarting I found that my clock in the upper right hand corner, along with the volume control icon, are missing. ichat, when clicked on, bounces as if to start then closes. This also happens with a game I play. Although I can reinstall both ichat and the game, the missing clock and volume control are a mystery to me.
Any advice on how to correct these problems?

I'm using OS 10.2.6 with all updates current. I have ran a virus scan, optimized, and ran disk doctor to no avail.

Probably some preference files got corrupted when the system crashed. Go to your Preferences folder (Home -> Library -> Preferences) and move these files somewhere else (you can delete them if you want, but if they turn out not to be the problem, you can move them back if you don't):

com.apple.iChat.plist
com.apple.iChatAgent.plist
com.apple.MenuBarClock.plist
com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

(I don't know the name of your game, so I can't add its pref file to that list. It should have the name of the game as part of it, so it shouldn't be difficult to find which one it is.)

You may want to logout/login after moving those.

You can turn back on the clock in the Date & Times preference pane (in System Preferences), and the volume control in the Sound preference pane. In Date & Time, go to the "Clock" part, and check the box for "Show the date and time" (if it is already checked, uncheck it then check it again). In Sound, you can turn back on the volume control by checking the box for "Show volume in menu bar" (again, if it is already checked, uncheck it then check it again).

When I edited the preferences for sound and date it had no affect. Somehow it has mysteriouly returned to the screen while trying to fix ichat.

Hmm, try launching Console (Applications -> Utilities -> Console) and look at the system.log and see if there are any errors being reported.

Back