Ads (just technical stuff and bugs)

lurk

Mitä?
Howdy,

The other ads threads were looking a little crowded and I was afraid my little bug reports might get lost so I started this new thread for discussing just the technical aspects of the ads. The flame wars have other threads so post that stuff there.

Me I just want the ads to be the best they can be to optimize the cost / benefit / annoyance equation. ;)

So here are my two bugs for today.

1. The "I would like to contribute" link on the ads served out of the gallery is broken. It doesn't go anywhere and that may hinder contributions ;)

2. Yesterday morning when I tried to hit the first page I got an ad before any content. I may have been due for one or Safari might have completed my link so I was going somewhere else deeper. But at any rate as just a random net user I think that an ad before even getting to the main page is kind of tacky. And if I were still evaluating if I would like to contribute here it would have lowered my perception of the site as a whole.

Have fun,
-Eric

Wow 12 people have looked at this thread I hope it was the right twelve ;)

New Bug: When performing a search if you get an ad it kills your search and returns you to the blank search screen.

I wonder if the forwarded URL used by the ad is being constructed improperly.

-Eric

Actually, they are bugs. I just haven't had time to look at it and fix them. :)

Scott

I agree: You really shouldn't make an ad the first thing that appears in certain cases on the site. Also, I don't think you should make ads appear whenever a person submits a poll because it often doesn't work.

New Non-Bug :) I have been on the site catching up on all the stuff form the weekend and there have been no ads - zero, nada, zilch. That was over more than an hours surfing (Oh my god I need to get to work.)

P.S. Cheryl - I think that the lack of advertising should be a carrot and not a stick if this is going to work for Scott. By having me view those ads it should pay him for the cost of me visiting this site in a perfect world. Now if the ads are too annoying, broken, distracting or obnoxious all that will happen is I won't read them or I will leave MacOSX.com completely. Again in a perfect world that would be bad for Scott as he is losing that tiny bit of revenue I generate for him as a customer.

I haven't had any ads for awhile either, I wonder if Scott took them down over WWDC to save bandwidth?

Back