Advice on non Apple laptops

Da_iMac_Daddy

Not-so-Neo-DumbA$$
I need a windows based computer for school. No one needs to tell me that a Mac can do anything a PC can do I know all of it already. I'm taking some programming courses and a prerequisite to some of the classes is an Intro Windows Based OS'. My professor said that I would really need a PC to take this class. ANYWAY. I was looking at a Sony Vaio it's about the size of an iBook only thinner. Any other laptops that I should take into consideration?

I don't see why you couldn't use VPC, but oh well.

The Vaio's are ok, but for the moeny you'd probably be better off with a Dell. I've had the unfortunate luck of having Dell laptops provided by my last two jobs, and they've worked alright. Luckily, they're talking about giving me a new one and I was told I could pick what I wanted, up to $3,000....so you know what that'll be. :p

I've had very good luck with IBM ThinkPads. They sure seem like the best built laptops on the PC side. On the other hand, Gateway makes the worst systems I've seen, and their laptops are very true to this form. My experiences with Dell have been neutral so far.

Repeat after me.

I. B. M. Think. Pad.

please. my experience with the x31 has been stellar, almost as nice as the iBook. If they made it white, and put better speakers on the thing, it would be top quality.

BLECH! I hate wandering around PC manufacturers web sites they really get me all confused. But anyway thanx for all the advice. Keep it coming :D

ECS makes bare bones Laptops. You add the CPU/RAM/Hard drive, the CD-ROM drive is included. Asus released a new Centrino based bare bones laptop, it's meant for system integrators to build and resell.

Huh, so there are options for the mobile crowd. Maybe you should build one, Daddy.

I still wish Macs were scratch-buildable! The only way to really do it is to go second-rate.

I have been assigned IBM laptops at work as well. If I had to get a PC, whether mobile or not, it would be a IBM. I believe their warranty is three-years. On ebay, IBM auctions new systems, and still carries the warranty as new. Check that out if you had to.

dont get a vaio. if you ever decide that you dont want all the sony software that is "required" you are screwed. and trust me, you will want to clean it up at some point. not to mention that to install another os has proven to be a real headache for me.

and on the same note, my gateway is a pos.

just my experiences.

I've had Dells and I've had Sonys. You could never get me to go near a Dell again unless I had a large weapon to blow it to smithereens.

I thought the Sony was a great machine, but as someone else had mentioned, never try to install Linux on it. Definitely Windoze only!

hth,
bear

Originally posted by arden
I still wish Macs were scratch-buildable! The only way to really do it is to go second-rate.
Forgive me for being too lazy to find the link, but when I was hanging out in the Gentoo forums' PPC section, someone posted a link to a website that details how to build your own Mac, one that WILL boot OSX. A small company was formed to sell such custom built Macs at a lower cost than what Apple charges. I checked it out myself and saw the screenshots. Obviously you won't get the fancy PowerMac cases, but if it means saving money I wouldn't mind a plain tower case. There are some decent looking cases out there.

Back