Airport Admin Utility Not Seeing Base Station

AKMedia

Registered
Since upgrading to version 5.1 of the firmware and 3.1 of the Admin Utility software the Airport Admin Utility does not "see" the Airport Extreme Base Station. Hitting the Rescan button does not help. Though I can find the Base Station by clicking the Other button and manually typing the router address and password.

I am running OS 10.2.6 and all worked fine until the Airport updates. Also, I have repaired permissions to no avail...

See if this helps from MacFixIt;

Network failure and solution After installing the AirPort software 3.1 updater, several users' Network Preferences Pane and all network settings became corrupt.
Users affected by this problem could no longer acquire an IP via DHCP, could not manually input IP entries and had other settings changed incorrectly. The problem can be eliminated by deleting three preference files using the Terminal. First you will have to preface your commands with "sudo" in order to gain root user access, and then delete the following three files:

/var/db/NetworkInterfaces.xml

/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml

/var/db/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.xml

Restart and reset your Network Preference Pane and the problem should be fixed.

It looks better after deletion of those files. But there's other curious issue - after upgrading to 5.1 airport led's are flashing all the time, even when computers are disconected or turned off. Only restart of base station seems to help. What's wrong? Too bad I can't check radio activity of station, but it looks to me base station remains active. I use 802.11g on Jag 10.2.6.

bobw said:
See if tyhis helps from MacFixIt;

Network failure and solution After installing the AirPort software 3.1 updater, several users' Network Preferences Pane and all network settings became corrupt.
Users affected by this problem could no longer acquire an IP via DHCP, could not manually input IP entries and had other settings changed incorrectly. The problem can be eliminated by deleting three preference files using the Terminal. First you will have to preface your commands with "sudo" in order to gain root user access, and then delete the following three files:

/var/db/NetworkInterfaces.xml

/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml

/var/db/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.xml

Restart and reset your Network Preference Pane and the problem should be fixed.

After going through several forums this reply is closest to an answer, Thank you!
But since i'm kinda stoopid when it comes to using terminal, can you tell me the sentence i should write in terminal? (i wouldn't know where to start)
Greatly appreciated

I was having the same problem as AKMedia ("...the Admin Utility software the Airport Admin Utility does not "see" the Airport Extreme Base Station. Hitting the Rescan button does not help. Though I can find the Base Station by clicking the Other button and manually typing the router address and password.") with Base Station v5.2 and AirPort Admin Utility 3.2.

In OS 10.3.2, the preference files mentioned by bobw have moved to a different directory and have different extensions than before. I did not see anything amiss in any of them, and did not want to reenter my preferences.

What fixed it for me was this. In AirPort Admin Utility, Show All Settings, AirPort tab, I had chosen Mode "802.11b Only". I chose "802.11b/g Compatible" instead and the problem went away. The utility now usually sees the base station after a few seconds; sometimes, I need to click Rescan.

Back