Airport Express question

Canada-Man

My team was the Expos
With Airport Express, do I understand I don't need an airport card to connect any computer, just an ethernet port? So if I understand well, my father could use my wireless network with his old PowerBook G3 Series or Performa 5215CD just by plugging the Airport Express base station wherever he goes in the house?

Is that right?

Well, you will need an airport card if you want to access the Airport Express over the wireless lan. But you could use the ethernet plug as well. But then why to pay so much money, if a $20 switch or a $50 router could do as well? I think the streaming feature and the built in printserver makes it so great and worth to pay $129

Well you need wires for the router or the switch, all I needed was a wireless card for the old computers, since I already have a wireless network on for my iMac and iBook, I just think it's great since you do not have to buy a card, it can be used on every model of computers.

Anyways, it's not available in Canada yet...

Ok, I am a bit confused now. So, you were looking for a way to get your old mac plugged to the network or did you want it to be wireless? Does your old mac have a pcmcia bus? However, you could use the Airport Express to plug your old mac, but then you won't be mobile again (it needs to be plugged to the electricity). If that's not the prob you could buy an accesspoint as well. Plug it close to your old mac over ethernet and you got an alternative to the Airport Express at a price less then $30 or so.

Yes I wanted to know if it would replace the installation of wires through the house because the computers are too old for wireless technology.

Also just a thing that would be cool with wireless and iTunes would be an iTunes compatible stereo system, just like another copy of iTunes it would recognized shared music, without wires...

As I understand the apple info, the Network port is for connecting to an ADSL or Cable modem/router to provide internet sharing, NOT for a local network.

Back