Airport Extreme and 3rd Party Base Stations

xphile

Registered
I have a new 17" PowerBook G4 with the Airport Extreme card. I have no problems connecting to Apple Airport Base Stations, the originals, the snow, or the Airport Extreme Base Stations. I've been connected to T-Mobile WiFi though I'm not sure what sort of equipment they're using. Over the last week I tested the PowerBook against two Linksys BEFW11S4 and though I was able to connect, get an IP address, and received a strong signal, I could not use the network. I could not connect to a web site, nor could I ping any other devices on the network. In addition to problems with the Linksys devices, I tried my PowerBook using a NetGear MR8514V2. I could see the Netgear base station, I had a very strong signal, and though I'm positive the Netgear base station was configured properly, each time I attempted to connect to it I got a message stating there was a problem connecting to the base station.

It appears there are issues with the Airport Extreme Card and 3rd party base stations. In each of the above mentioned cases, a Titanium with the original Airport card had no problems connecting. Also, an iBook with the original Airport card connected with no problems.

Linksys of course would not help me. In their minds, Apple does not exist. This is similar to an RTS problem I had with Linksys in the past, but no amount of futzing with the RTS setting helped.

Netgear was unavailable.

I'm running OS X 10.2.5.

I was wonder if anyone else is experiencing such problems and if anyone has had success with other 3rd party base stations and Airport Extreme equipped laptops?

:confused:

I have one of the 12" PowerBook G4s with the Airport Extreme card. I also can connect to any previous Apple base stations. With third party base stations I find that it's entirely hit or miss.

Where I work we have alot of Cisco Aironet 350 access points which I can not even associate with. And when I attempt to join the network I get a message which states that there was an error joining the selected network. Upon further examiniation through the console. I see that an WirelessJoin unexpected status: 4/n followed by the date.

Hope this helps.

Back