AirPort Extreme via Ethernet (help please!!)

DCD

Registered
Guys if anyone can help here I would really appreciate it.

I'm trying to set up my Air Port Extreme via ethernet from my Cube. This is so I can connect to the internet via AirPort to my DSL modem and so that I can use my PC (XP) wirelessly.

This is what I have done so far. I opened up system preferences, network and selected the show pop down menu to enter the Network port configurations. I then selected to add a new port configuration, named it Air port and put it at the top of the list.

Once I did this AirPort Admin utility recognized the AirPort base station through my ethernet. I then proceeded to set up the AirPort, it automatically inputted all my PPPoE settings and I clicked the update button so the settings got transferred to the base station.

So after this I go to system preferences/network again and I get the message: "AirPort currently active and has the IP address xx.x.x.x. You are connected to the Internet via AirPort" on the network status section

The thing is I'm not connected! When I use just the DSL modem I connect from the Internet Connect pop-down menu on my main desktop menu bar. Only now if I select to connect it only gives me the option "Built-in Ethernet". If I go to Network configurations and deselect the Built in Ethernet option it still doesn't give me the option to connect through AirPort via the pop down menu.

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Furthermore I cannot find one set up assistant/instruction manual to set up this type of configuration!

I was expecting that an AirPort pop down menu to appear on the menu bar on the desktop? Or am I missing someting?

Please please please, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please help me

I have the same config except it is with the 'snow' Airport base station.

First, the location you called Airport has to have 2 interfaces:

1. built-in ethernet port
2. airport card

I have an airport card in the cube but I connect via the ethernet. Wireless is used for my Al PB G4 1.0 GHz.

I have connected via the airport card in the past but I prefer the wired approach as the base station is at the same desk as the cube.

Can you expand on how you are trying to connect. Remember that the DSL modem may be configured as router and with the airport base station it probably should be configured as a bridge. The the AP base station act as the router/firewall.

I don't have an airport card. I thought I didn't need one seeing I was connected via ethernet?

If I need one where can I find some for sale onine? I imagine production of the first air port cards was stopped long ago right..

DCD

You only need the Airport card if you want to connect wirelessly. If you connect to the base station via ethernet there is no need for the card. The one in the Cube is there due to historical reasons. Just a good place to park it. All I do is just turn A/P off on the Cube.

My config has the Cube connected to the base station via ethernet (even though the Cube does also have a A/P card in it). My PB is connected via an A/P E card. When the iMac G5 arrives to replace the Cube the base station will be upgraded to A/P E and both systems will be connected wirelessly. :)

Back