Airport help please

dave25

Registered
First of all, merry Christmas and happy New Year to all!

I'd very much appreciate some advice with the following problem. For about a year I have had a flatscreen iMac and internet connection via a Speedtouch 510 router to the ADLS service provided by Pipex (I'm in England by the way). This set-up has worked great.

Yesterday Santa brought the family a new iBook and an airprt base station. Prior to putting this on my list I checked with Pipex that it should work with their service, the answer was "Yes but we don't support it" - this is OK as I believe this is their standard answer regarding any hardware nor actually supplied by them.
I followed the instructions in setting everything up, it all seems to be OK except that I can't access the internet!

If I plug the ethernet lead from the router directly into the iBook I can get onto the internet no problem. When the lead is plugged into the airport base station, the Internet Connect utility on the iBook reports that all is OK regarding Airport, the signal is strong, and it reports the status as "connected to the internet via ethernet". However, I can't access any internet sites, and it seems that the airport base station isn't connecting to the router as I can't even surf to the router's build-in set-up site. I've tried rebooting everything (computer, airport base station and router) many times, I've repeated that Airport set-up procedure, and I've also tried disabling the network ports for the modem and ethernet, leaving only Airport (as recommended in a previous post here) but nothing has worked.

I'm stumped, and would really appreciate any advice on this.

Does the Pipex router have a firewall? It could be that you need to reset the firewall from the iMac to allow the wireless connection.

Thanks for the tip. The honest answer is "I don't know". Can you suggest how I could find out if the router has a firewall? For sure I have not done anything to set one up, but maybe it happens automatically? As you can see I'm way out of my depth with the technical issues here, so any help with be much appreciated

Did you install any software on your iMac? You can find out from there. It should be under 'home network information'. Or you can call Pipex to find out.

What OS are you working with?

You should power off your cable modem.
Now run the airport setup utility and it will configure for cable modem.

It is important to power off your cable modem, then connect the base station, then power on cable modem, then configure base station.

Try to configure the Router to add another computer. Then in the Airport Admin Utility (located in Applications->Utilities) select your Base Station, click Configure, choose the Internet tab, and set this up as the 'Computer' you just added to your Router. This should allow the Airport Base to work through the Router, just as your iMac does now.
If any of this doesn't make sense, I will try to clarify it.

Just for reference, this is how my Station is set up:

I have an ISDN connection running through a 3Com IDSN Office Connect Modem.
First off, my ISDN modem is configured so that each computer has a fixed IP address. I therefore treat the Airport Base Station as another computer, and it has been assigned it's own IP address.
The Airport Base is set up as a DHCP server (assigns IP addresses to it's clients automatically). It was configured via the Airport Setup Assistant.

Thanks for your help everyone. I tried the suggestions with no success, but on another site (dedicated to UK ADSL issues) I saw someone else had asked a similar question, and the advice given was to use the Airport base station as a "bridge". In practical terms this meant going into the Network section of the Airport Admin utility, and removing the checkmark from the box labelled "Distribute IP Addresses". I tried it, and it works!!!

I still don't understand what all these settings really mean, but I'm very happy to have the kit working

Thanks again to all who tried to help, and very best wishes for the New Year.

Back