Alright I caved

Lycander

Registered
This one is for Hulkaros, Viro, and ElDiablo...

I was talking with my girlfriend (yes, I'm actually quite personable) today and hinted at wanting to get back into the Mac platform. I tried my best to describe to her most of my computing career, how I've gone back and forth on and off the Mac platform, etc. So after dinner we were driving around, and since we were already out and about, and I have money burning a hole in my pocket... one thing lead to another, and I ended up going home with a 14" iBook G4 1 GHz. It still needs a RAM upgrade and Airport gear.

So how do I feel coming back to the Mac after months being away? So far most of my complaints about it are fixed. I got a bigger screen iBook so I won't complain about squinting. They changed the keyboard! Niiiiice. Now it's just cheap plastic instead of "uber crappy plastic keys that snap on and off when I upgrade RAM."

On the software side of things:
Typing - the letters show up as fast as I type them in, no more typing then sitting back and watching the letters appear one by one.

This Garage Band thing looks very promising, I had already bought an accoustic guitar but I lack the finger coordination to play well. At least this way I can get use to hearing the notes.

First thing I installed was XCode, very eager to play with that. Strikes me as odd that I have to install seperate SDKs for the different versions of OSX.

First thing I uninstalled was World Book.

Expose is pretty cool. Genie effect finally looks slick rather than looking like a genie painfully collapsing to his death, hehe.

I'm a bit surprised to find iDVD preloaded considering this only has a combo drive not a Super drive.

That pin-stripe pattern is still in some windows. Damn. But it's fainter now and doesn't offend my eyes as much.

Only one show stopper problem so far: I was running software update, it was at 97% complete in the disk optimization process. Well I was playing around with iCal. Got bored and decided to close it. The Beach Ball Strikes Back. Ok, lets move on and do something else while I wait for that. Bad idea. I was trying to clean my dock a little by removing some icons. Well now that froze, the icon got stuck half on the dock, half on the desktop where I was dragging it to. Meanwhile iCal is still Beachy. I switch over to Finder which hasn't Beached yet, aimed for the Apple menu hoping to get to the Force Quit option to Kill Bill... I mean iCal. Nope, Finder goes Beach Ball on me. So now everything is stalling, my Software Update won't finish it's optimizing, I'm stuck. I walked away and went on my *whisper* pc *whisper* for a bit, 10 minutes pass and it hasn't gotten better. So I power it off and start it up again. Nothing exploded so I proceeded to tweak the rest of the system to my liking.

So why after all this time am I returning to the Mac platform? There's too many games on the Wintel machine. I spend too much time playing games instead of being productive. So I'll go over to Mac-land and make games here.

So there, I'm one of yous now! Er... again... Now stop making fun of me.

Yay! Welcome back, Lycander!

I'm very much looking forward to playing with GarageBand.

Actually, I'm getting a fair few games with my new iMac, come to think of it. As well as the standard Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast Gold, the Apple store guy is also throwing in Tomb Raider Revelations, Freedom Force, Incoming, No one lives forever, and Star Trek Voyager. I'll also be buying Unreal Tournament 2004. Should be plenty of games to keep anyone happy.

Oh, and BTW, I personally prefer the faint pinstripe pattern to the brushed metal look.

Hey, I was *never* trying to convince you to buy a mac. But if you bought one anyway, cool :)

I'm sure you'll find like the iBook as I think most of your complaints about speed issues, DVD Playback, etc are solved with Panther.

Back