Apple, Get Your Taxes Together

DanTekGeek

MacTechGeek
I have spent the entire afternoon trying to order my Powerbook. With local tax, the total should come to $2374.72 ($2279 + 4.2%). However, I live in an un-incorporated county, so I do not pay city or county tax, only state tax (4.2%). But, my shipping adress triggers the Apple store to charge me the tax rate for the county in which my post office sits (7.8%). The sales representative told me that I would be charged the correct tax, but the estimated total, the total that would determine weather or not my credit card charge clears, would be caclulated using the 7.8% tax. The available balance on my card is $2477, which is very close to the price I should be paying. When I go to check out from the Apple store, I am quoted $2457.90 ($2279 + 7.8%). I click purchase, and my card is denied. I get the same result after multiple tries. I call my card company, who tell me that Apple has been trying to charge $2494. How can this be? Well, not only does Apple not seem to be able to caclulate the right tax, but they make up for that by adding an extra 1.8% to every purchase to make sure that funds are available. This is so that because they are not certain of tax, they do not under-quote, and have the customer not be able to pay. I have been saving up for this thing for over 6 months. I would go to the local Apple store, but this will be a BTO machine. One would think that one of the largest computer companies in the world would be able to get something as simple as sales tax correct.

Call your CC company and ask for a increase of $50 in your credit OR call them and ask them to approve the purchase from Apple.

If you're cutting it that closely, maaybe you should rethink things and get something safely affordable.

Back