Apple & Jaquar can go to @!&%

callieX

Registered
I can not get Jaguar to install on my powerbook g3 266 which on the box it states that should. I tried four times have been all over the net looking for a fix. Did I mention I payed $129 for this pleasure. 10.1.5 worked well on my powerbook.

I called Apple today and was told that 20 Gig third party drive and the 512 third party memory are the cause. All have to do is put my 4gig drive back in the 128 meg ram and I will be set. So now I have to pay some one to put my powerbook back to a unusable state. Did I mention I payed $129 for this pleasure.

They will not give me my money back either. Told me to back to CompUsa where I bought it. I have not been there yet but if they are true to form they will stick me with a restocking fee and in the store credit.

Damn It Damn It Damn It

Sorry I had to vent somewhere.

Calliex

That really does suck man, sorry. I know I would be pissed if I were in your shoes ... hopefully CompUSA will be able to help you out w/o a re-stocking fee. Then again, it's CompUSA we're talking about.

Sorry to hear. Your hard drive is unlikely to be the problem, it's probably the memory. There have been a number of incidents reported of people whose 512MB cards would not work with Jaguar on a G3 PB. Many have not had the problem, suggesting that it's an issue with memory that isn't quite up to spec.

Try your memory vendor, maybe they will replace the memory board with one that will meet the spec that Jaguar has trouble with. You should be able to test this out by backing down to your original memory (if you still have it).

Yeh, just change your memory back first... then upgrade to better quality if the installer works.

If you have a Pismo though, careful... I destroyed my brand-new one 30 mins after receiving it when trying to install memory... (don't tell the supplier though, just told them it was DOA:rolleyes: )

I had problems installing osx on a G3 desktop.
the installer didn't want to install the software on my drive.
It turned out that the harddisk was to big (20 Gb)
and i had to partition it to a 8 Gb drive.
Then the installer did its job an installed the software.
So now i have a system disk of 8 Gb and a second 11 Gb harddisk

I had the same hard drive problem. Repartitioning did the trick. I don't understand why RAM would be an issue.
Best Regards
Andy

Similiar issues on G3 desktop, cdrom was set to slave( a big "WHAT THE ???" on this one) and I had more ram than my machine was originally designed for. The only reason it was set that way was that the memory at the time was physically too high. A macaddict article a year or so ago explained it better. I have 768 in mine and I had to take it down to 256 for the 2nd cd to run. The 1st cd ran fine but it choked on the 2nd cd(who needs all them languages anyway?). It's funny, my orange pc usb/firewire card, my sonnet ide card, and new ati radeon 7000 card didnt pose any problems.

I would suspect thats nearly the same reason, according to this spec sheet:

G3 Power Book Specs

You were supposed to max out at 192.

Hope this is helpful.

--mike

Haha...I don't mean to be insulting here...but IS it Apple's problem that you MODIFIED your system and now it won't work with the official releases...something that Apple is not required to support?

I think Apple deserves an A+ for how they handled this situation. They told you what you need to do, and now you complain. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, man.

But, don't come in here and tell us Apple and Jag suck because you refuse to upgrade your stone age system.

dude, the problem is that he DID upgrade his system. apple is telling him it will work if he downgrades.
let's see, apple said it would work on his system when he paid the $129. X.1.5 worked fine on his system, so jag should too, right? well, now that he's paid the $129, jag won't work on his system. i'd be pretty peeved too.
don't be a jerk, ubermac. not everyone has the money to throw at their computer... not when apple says they don't have to in order to get jag installed.

pz.

Originally posted by boi
let's see, apple said it would work on his system when he paid the $129. X.1.5 worked fine on his system, so jag should too, right?

Apple publishes specs for RAM--if his RAM didn't match the specs, then Apple certainly didn't say it would work on his system. The RAM vendor said it would, but that's not the same.

And no, there's no solid reason that jag should work on any system that 10.1.5 worked on, unless the system is entirely within Apple's specs. We don't know that this guy's system was within Apple's specs, so the X.1.5=>jag assumption is simply not valid.

I'm just looking for a little clarification here... not trying to start a flame war.

I'm looking at the Jag box right now and at the bottom of the requirements it says "The original Powerbook G3 and processor upgrade cards are not supported"

Isn't this machine an Original Powerbook G3?

No it is a Wallstreet G3 and it is supported. The problem here is I have found at least two other people with the same setup as mine that have gotten Jaguar to install.
The other thing is some people have taken out the upgraded memory and put back the orig 64 Meg of ram and have installed Jaguar successfully. They then put back the 512 and it works. So my guess is there is something wrong with the Jaguar installer. Apple is ducking the problem hiding behind it doesn't meet our spec. It was OK with 10.1.5. I have had Mac's since the MacPlus I am not switching I would just like to treated by Apple as well as I treat them. Since 1986 I have spent about $25,000 on their products. In all that time I have only had 3 bitches. My first two Wallstreet powerbooks caught on fire and now this Jaguar thing. Neither of two incidents were handled ver well by them.

If Apple said they would not support my machine I would not have a bitch. I am trying to get atleast another 6 months out of this machine. After all $3200+ for laptop takes awhile to save.

Calliex

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought the wallstreet series was the 300 and up g3's. My wife has a PB 266 (havent tried any flavor of X on it yet, she wont let me), and I was under the assumption that it was not a wallstreet.

Anyone have a good, clear description of the differences?

thanks

--Mike

It is a wallstreet the same as mine. G3 266. OSX 10.1.5 installed without problem and it was faster than OS9. That is why I wanted to install Jaguar.
If your wallstreet is stock you should be OK. I think the problem I am having is my memory upgrade.
Search this fourm for powerbook g3. There some Wallstreet owners that have not had the same problem as I have. Others have downgraded their machines to get to install.
I have not given up yet. I just had to vent my frustrations

Calliex

I am trying to get atleast another 6 months out of this machine. After all $3200+ for laptop takes awhile to save.

Calliex

Couldn't you have sold it the year after you bought it for 80% of what it was worth, thus only paying ~$640/year for an Apple notebook?

If you did this year after year, you would still have only paid $640x4 years = $2560, up to now, which far less than just buying and keeping an old machine like you did? And on top of that you would have had 4 brand new machines.

Originally posted by übermac®™
Haha...I don't mean to be insulting here...but IS it Apple's problem that you MODIFIED your system and now it won't work with the official releases...something that Apple is not required to support?

Unless Apple wants to distance users, then yes, they should support a common configuration of their OS/hardware.

OSX is a little too touchy when it comes to RAM. Even Microsoft doesn't have that problem.

BTW, wasn't there a utility out there that could make the mac not check the ram, and hence make it work with OSX? I don't remember where I saw it because I didn't need it.

The weird thing is, even though OS X is so touchy about RAM, I was able to install X.1.2 (Havn't d/l'd anyway updates to it yet) on my Rev. D iMac with only 96mb RAM.

The scariest thing abou this is that it runs comfortably! My mum's 333mhz Celeron with 288mb RAM has great difficulty running Windows XP Pro, which is really funny!

Originally posted by übermac®™

Couldn't you have sold it the year after you bought it for 80% of what it was worth, thus only paying ~$640/year for an Apple notebook?

If you did this year after year, you would still have only paid $640x4 years = $2560, up to now, which far less than just buying and keeping an old machine like you did? And on top of that you would have had 4 brand new machines.

You know, I never really thought about it that way but you're entirely correct. Mac's have great resale value compaired to their PC counterparts. Right now I could easily sell my G3 for $300... try getting that out of a 4 year old PC.

I think I'm going to have to upgrade a little more frequently from now on :D

I had exactly the same problem as CallieX. Now I'm a happy jaguar jockey.

I downgraded my memory from 512Mb to 128Mb and then the installer worked fine. So I would surely give it a try if I were you.

After I installed Jaguar I upgraded my memory to 512 again and Jaguar just keeps running. So obviously the installer has a problem with the 256Mb memory modules but Jaguar doesn't.

Give it a try.

OK OK I downgraded the memory and got to install. I snapped a key off the keyboard in the process but I found a keyboard on ebay for $10.

I still say Apple should have found the installer probem when they tested on the Wallstreet and fixed it. The fact that when I called they just used the catch all phrase " 3rd party componets" is what pissed me off.

Calliex

Back