Apple's Mail.app is JUNK!

evildan

Super Moderator
I've exceeded my tolerance for Apple's Mail.app. I've tried and tried to deal with it, but it just fights the way I want to work.

My latest and FINAL battle with this immature application was in exporting mail.

Scenario:
I created a new user on a machine in the office at work. I was required to. The boss didn't want user names but rather titles.

So all users are required to create new user accounts on their machines.

All I want to do is export mail from User A and import it to User B.

Both users will use mail.app, so it shouldn't be that difficult - or so I thought.

I've been all over the place trying to get this done.

Questions:
How do I export? I can import, I can even import Mail.app mailboxes, which will be great, if I could find a way to export them first.

I searched Apple's "help" application, which only leads to more rants. I can't search JUST Mail.app, so I am getting tons of results that are not related to Mail.app at all! Frustration!

Now I'm in Mail.app saving a collection of emails, as recommended in the Help.app. I export as Raw Message Source. But guess what the Mail.app will NOT import the standard mbox format. It said it would in Help.app, but does it? NO!

So back to the drawing board, how can I import mail boxes and/or email messages in Mail.app??!?!?!?

This is driving me crazy, I'm never going to be fooled into using that program again. Pardon the repetition of my title, but IMHO, Mail.app is JUNK!

Easy, just copy the Mail folder in the Library folder of the user you are copy from the the same location in the new user account. You will have to be logged in as root to do this, but it's ultra easy.

Mail is not junk.

Next question...?

no, mail.app is not junk. not even spam.
:D
Seriously it's really easy to fix (se above). dont lose your cool...

Sorry guys, but I respectively disagree. Mail.app is not a complete mail application. I discover this every time I attempt to use it.

I doubt I will ever go back to mail, not as long as I have my other email application. *gulp* which as it happens, is Entourage. I know it's made by the evil M$, which is honestly, my only complaint with it.

Rant
1) Mail.app's icons bother me, and I'm not much into customization.
2) Mail.app is slooooooooowww
3) I've never been a big fan of the "tray"
4) Importing/Exporting is far from completely intuitive

Sorry, I love Apple, but this isn't their best program. iTunes, iCal, iPhoto, iMovie, Safari and a slew of other apps; excellent, Mail.app is crap.

Originally posted by evildan
Apple's "help" application, which only leads to more rants. I can't search JUST Mail.app, so I am getting tons of results that are not related to Mail.app at all!

This is probably the worst and most frustrating thing of Apple. The help application. Not only can it not search for just one app, but it tends to never answer any questions, only state the obvious. Check this, if you go to Toast Titanium help, and you click one of the topics, nothing happens. If you click smaller 2 times, then click on bigger 2 times, now when you click a topic, it works again. What an app.:confused:

Back