applications OS X could use that Windows has

Is that as in there is one app working for both OSs, or is there an OS X version and a Windows version and those are pretty equal to each others?

Originally posted by waiting_for_OSX
2. Tiny Personal Firewall ( www.tinysoftware.com )

3. TextPad ( www.textpad.com )

OS X has a built in Firewall. If you don't want to deal with the comman line, you can download one of the GUI admin utilities from VersionTracker.

I would love it if Textpad shows up on OS X... It's my favorite text editor. But I have to admit BBEdit is quickly growing on me. It's a VERY good text editor.

My dream would be seeing BEA WebLogic ported to Darwin... Won't happen until Apple has more server market share ofcourse...

-B

Audiogalaxy! ... i Love this mp3 App! ... its on Linux ... i assume it won't work on OS X!

i'm gonna miss this App when i get my iMac!

<< this is one reason 2 keep my PC! >>

Ooh, another App ... Can i ask ... Where the F**K is Microsoft Access?! ... Damn, i NEED That App For my College Course! its Crazy! ... has it never been on OS X?

...hmmm.... there's bound 2 be more apps! Lemmie think! :D

NeYo

Take a look on versiontracker for autogalaxy satelights.

Oh, and as far as I know, access has never existed for the Mac period.

Originally posted by LordOphidian
Take a look on versiontracker for autogalaxy satelights.

Oh, and as far as I know, access has never existed for the Mac period.

And it looks like it never will. The Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit stated that it would take more than 2 years of dedicated effort to port Access to Macs, so it's just not going to happen.

It really isn't that big of a deal, considering OS X has tons of good databases for it... FileMaker Pro, FrontBase, OpenBase, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc., etc., etc..

-B

Originally posted by phatsharpie

And it looks like it never will. The Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit stated that it would take more than 2 years of dedicated effort to port Access to Macs, so it's just not going to happen.

It really isn't that big of a deal, considering OS X has tons of good databases for it... FileMaker Pro, FrontBase, OpenBase, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc., etc., etc..

-B

That Really is a Shame!

... although the other Database Programs may be "Suffcient" .. Access is like "the Big one" ... and i'd imagine a vast majority of courses (@ College) Deal With Access, and barely touch upon these "other" Applications! ...this is probably one argument, in my eyes, for which PC Users may NOT want to Switch to Mac, Especially if Access ties in with "work".
this isn't to stop me! ... Thats why its probably best to have Both! (PC 'n' iMac! :D)

Neyo

My college database courses never touched Access with a ten foot pole. I learned relational algebra and relational calculus first, then we moved to generic SQL after that...

Access is not 'the big one'. Maybe to stupid computer teachers who see Microsoft and nothing else it is. But those people are as the word suggests, stupid.

For number four, there are tons of OSX irc clients. There's the command-line "ftp", and there's Transmit, RBrowser/RBrowserLite and a bunch of others. I prefer RBrowserLite, cause it's free :D It works very well too.

Originally posted by googolplex
Access is not 'the big one'. Maybe to stupid computer teachers who see Microsoft and nothing else it is. But those people are as the word suggests, stupid.

LOL! ...maybe in U're Opinion! ... but i get the feeling, the majority of u guys are from the US! ... Well, where i Live in the UK (eng) (i'm not saying the whole the UK! ...maybe other Eng Peeps can Agree with me/ or Disagree!) ... Apple Mac's are Few and Far Between, and So not only is Windows Predominant in Schools, but as is Office! ... Now thats why, in my XP-eriences (LOL! Sorry that was LAME! LOL!!!) ... Access is the "Big One".

NeYo

I don't think Access conforms to SQL92 very much. I know its "wildcard" character is completely non-standard. So Access really isn't a good db to learn db's.

The truth is Access is useful for a small workgroup, but definitely not a workable solution for mission critical, large scale database.

I think the US is actually less controlled by MS than many other countries. I know when I was in Oz, it was like in a wholly owned subsidary of Microsoft. I've never been to a country so ASP and VB happy.

-B

Um, as far as I know, there was a version of Outlook for Mac which included Access support. Or was that Exchange server support? Maybe I'm confusing the two. Well *shrug*, I don't really care, since both of them don't make a shred of difference in my life, and my dad won't touch Access with a ten foot pole either.

neyo: look at my location. Canada eh. The reason you see access as predominate is because you probably only see people running windows servers and stuff. Check out unix people (and mac people) and they wont be running access.

Originally posted by simX
Um, as far as I know, there was a version of Outlook for Mac which included Access support. Or was that Exchange server support? Maybe I'm confusing the two.

I think you mixed up the two. Outlook 2001 has Exchange support, which Entourage lacks.

-B

Access isn't even used in the MS areas around campus here, MS SQL 2000 is.

Access is considered kinda like the database that is in AppleWorks, mainly just for personal use by those that don't know better.

I know that the basic computer cources here used FileMaker when teaching about db's, and once you get higher up you are talking about a true SQL DB server system.

The long and short, access is very very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Coldfusion Studio and Coldfusion server.

Coldfusion is easiest language to learn and make dynamic website.

I wish that Macomedia will realease OS X version of Coldfusion Studio.

That's all

See ya!

Back