Backing Up

Splinky

Registered
I'm about to do a clean install on my system. I am in the process of backing up my files.
How would I go about saving certain preferences? I backed up my Itunes & Iphoto files on an external drive. How do I back up the playlists? I would like to keep all my lists the way I left them. And how would I bring these files back over when I reinstall the Apps?
I also want to back up my Internet Explorer and Safari favorites?
Also mail and Address Book?
It's been a long time since I did this. I know in the old days of System 9, all you would have to do is save files from the preferences folder.

I believe I found the Internet explorer preferences, but I am having trouble finding the others.

I would use a backup program to back up the drive as a whole, and then selectively restore what you need. That way a week from now you won't say 'oops...forgot about this file or that'
I use 'Synchronize X!', by far the best OSX backup program I have tried...and I have tried them all.

If you have the space, the best bet is to clone your entire drive to the external before erasing the internal. Then install the software and get things over until everything works as expected.

I usually back up my home folder and some Application Support folders from /Library and /System/Library ...

That is a good idea to back up the home folder. I do have the room. Thanks!
How do you get your Itunes/Iphoto lists back? And your internet links?

I really don't feel like buying software to back up some of my files.

If you can, _do_ copy the whole harddrive (Carbon Copy Cloner from www.versiontracker.com springs to mind). If not, do backup this:

- "/Users/yourshortname"
- "/Applications/" (unless you want to reinstall each of those later)
- "/Library/Application Support"
- "/System/Library/Application Support" (if it exists)

Most of your settings (Safari links etc.) are saved in your home folder's "Library" folder (in Preferences there), so you should be fine with this set. In order to restore, I'd do as follows:

0) Remove the external drive for now.

1) Install your Mac and FORMAT the drive while at it. Yep, everything's gone then, so backup is _first_, of course. ;)

2) Create the _same_ user(s) in the same order. If you only had one, make sure its shortname is the same as before. (Although I think it should work fine otherwise, too. Guess you'd have to change some keychain things then. If you choose the same shortname, just ignore this...)

3) Update the system through Software Update before configuring anything. You'll be asked to reboot.

4) You're back in the new system now. Connect the external drive and move things back where they belong. Might want to get rid of some stuff while at it (as there's bound to be unnecessary downloads etc.), so don't just copy the whole folders but make choices...

Back