Bill Gates really worked for Apple before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandboy6184

Registered
Just watch Pirates of silicon valley, and yes I know there are some false parts from reading Wozs site.

But I wanted to know some general apple history.

1. Did bill MS really work for Apple before?
2. How did MS rise, when Apple had a huge team, more money, hardware with a popular OS?
3. Whats with , out of nowhere, some apple employees go to Japan and they happen to pick up some NEC computers, and HEy wow windows is on here which is made by one of our employees Bill GAtes. What were they doing in japan?
4. So did windows really steal most of its ideas from the apple OS?

Thanks!

If he didnt work for them before... he will soon....

Apple will be the only one left still making money from there hard efforts once Linux takes over.

=) j/k (but hope I am right!)

1) No
2) MS had a very good contract with IBM... and then was able to reuse his work on other computers... and they created some of the most useful software for all computers (Word and Excel), even if the first of both could have been better with more competition
3) ?
4) depends how you define "steal"

chevy said:
1) No
2) MS had a very good contract with IBM... and then was able to reuse his work on other computers... and they created some of the most useful software for all computers (Word and Excel), even if the first of both could have been better with more competition
3) ?
4) depends how you define "steal"

im guessing you never seent he movie PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY

Are you asking about the film, or about what really happened ?

a good book that i read which explains it from the Microsoft developers point of view is Barbarians Led by Bill Gates by Jennifer Edstrom and Marlin Eller

who cares about the past.... the important thing right now is that longhorn rules !!!! or is it Tiger its called ?

Boy, I hope you can distinguish between them, if Microsoft's actually been successful in cloning OS X, then A) that's big trouble for Apple, and B) armageddon is upon us.

sandboy6184 said:
Just watch Pirates of silicon valley, and yes I know there are some false parts from reading Wozs site.

But I wanted to know some general apple history.

1. Did bill MS really work for Apple before?
No, Apple did not work for Apple. This is not in the film. Congratulations on being the first person I have ever known to ask the question. Microsoft got its start writing the BASIC interpreter for the Altair 8800. Gates was immensely aided in this effort by having dumpster-dived in the DEC headquarters trash. In the early days of microcomputers, Microsoft BASIC was the company's dominant product.

sandboy6184 said:
2. How did MS rise, when Apple had a huge team, more money, hardware with a popular OS?
There are three eras in Microsoft's history. The first was the pioneering Microsoft BASIC era. This was a time when the company sold BASIC for such platforms as CP/M and Radio Shack's TRS-DOS. Actually, MS BASIC was integrated with TRS-DOS. The second was the PC-DOS/MS-DOS era. This era began when Microsoft licensed PC-DOS to IBM, even though Microsoft did not own it. Microsoft then duped Seattle Microcomputer out of Q-DOS (quick and dirty operating system), a 8086-compatible rip-off of Digital Research's CP/M. Key to Microsoft's success was the PC-DOS license was non-exclusive. Microsoft was able to sell MS-DOS, its own version of PC-DOS. The third was the Windows era. By this time, IBM had lost its ability to dictate the hardware market. IBM tried to regain its dominance with the PS/2 in hardware and OS/2 in operating systems. Microsoft exploited the market's reluctance to switch to OS/2 and the PS/2. With Windows 95, Microsoft killed the last vestiges of competition from DR-DOS, the direct descendant of CP/M-86. The Microsoft Office era might qualify as a fourth era. It is most certainly a major part of the third era. During the DOS era, Microsoft was a bit-player in the office productivity application market on Intel-compatible hardware. Its productivity applications were actually more popular on the Mac. Lotus, WordPerfect, Paradox, and others were dominant in office productivity software. Windows versions of PC-DOS stalwarts, especially Lotus 1-2-3, performed poorly in the GUI environment. IIRC, it is a proven fact that Microsoft had concealed Windows APIs that allowed its own Word, Excel, etc. to perform well. Feature-wise, WordPerfect was considered to be far superior MS Word. Most, however, agree that Excel was an excellent spreadsheet. With Office, Microsoft was able to leverage Excel and its secret APIs to displace its competition in productivity applications.
sandboy6184 said:
3. Whats with , out of nowhere, some apple employees go to Japan and they happen to pick up some NEC computers, and HEy wow windows is on here which is made by one of our employees Bill GAtes. What were they doing in japan?
I have no idea. Perhaps, you ought to research this on your own.
sandboy6184 said:
4. So did windows really steal most of its ideas from the apple OS?

Thanks!
You ought to go through the MacKido web site. However, by now you should understand that much of Microsoft's history has been marked by deceit, rip-offs, and outright theft. However, there are an awful lot of poverty-striken thieves out there. Microsoft is Bill Gates. Bill Gates was born rich. He is single-mindedly dedicated to getting richer. This is why you don't see Microsoft deterred by the lawsuits brought against it from around the world. This is why Microsoft continues its profitable Macintosh business when others are afraid to enter it.

Ripcord said:
Boy, I hope you can distinguish between them, if Microsoft's actually been successful in cloning OS X, then A) that's big trouble for Apple, and B) armageddon is upon us.

You :eek: I was talking about apples early days OS, not now

MisterMe said:
No, Apple did not work for Apple. This is not in the film. Congratulations on being the first person I have ever known to ask the question. Microsoft got its start writing the BASIC interpreter for the Altair 8800. Gates was immensely aided in this effort by having dumpster-dived in the DEC headquarters trash. In the early days of microcomputers, Microsoft BASIC was the company's dominant product.

Maybe you became blind when the part came when Bill Gates is wearing a Apple t-shirt and attending the apple headquarters and attending apple seminars.

sandboy6184 said:
You :eek: I was talking about apples early days OS, not now

That's fine, though my reply was directed to the message directly above it, and had nothing to do with any of your posts.

Also, please refrain from name-calling.

sandboy6184 said:
[PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED]

Sorry, was trying to emulate some of the more, er, interesting writing styles so far in this thread =)

Ripcord said:
That's fine, though my reply was directed to the message directly above it, and had nothing to do with any of your posts.

Also, please refrain from name-calling.

Sorry, was trying to emulate some of the more, er, interesting writing styles so far in this thread =)

im just messing with you, here drink some of my coffee coolata friend :)

sandboy6184 said:
Maybe you became blind when the part came when Bill Gates is wearing a Apple t-shirt and attending the apple headquarters and attending apple seminars.
Sorry for the typo. I should have said that Gates did not work for Apple. I take it, however, that you understood what I meant. I also understand that you think that Gates attendance at seminars at Apple headquarters is proof of his employment at Apple. If this is the case, then it is a monumental leap in logic. Do you believe that every developer who attended a seminar at Apple worked for the company? If you believe that, then you have a lot to learn about how corporations work.

Just to clear up why the original question came up and why Bill Gates is seen wearing a Macintosh shirt in that flick:

Microsoft (and with it, Bill Gates) was one of the first - and most important - developers for the Macintosh platform. They brought Excel, and later Word to the Mac long before there was an Office for Windows. So, in a way, yes, Bill Gates did work 'for' Apple. But he wasn't on Apple's payroll, if that's what you're asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back