boot classic from another computer

J5

certified wanker
Ok - here's on for y'all - I have an 8500 w/g4 card running os9, and a powerbook g3 with X. The pb drive is only 2 gigs, so I had an idea that using file sharing I'd set up X on the pb to boot classic off of the 8500 os 9 install. I haven't even tried to do it yet but I wondered if it was even possible??

Anyone try it??

J5

yep - just found that out last night. :(

Anyway, I installed vnc, and it's faster than using 9 in classic anyway. Just did a complete reformat and reinstall of x only, this is close to perfect!

J5

Can't you rig up an NFS mount or something similar to trick OS X into thinking the remote machine is a local volume?

... or you could just buy a firewire/usb external drive. I don't think G3's can boot from these externals, but Classic should be able to once OS X is running.

Hey,
I just ordered a 30gig drive for the powerbook, shouldn't have any space issues then! Anyway, one of my thoughts was to just copy the whole System folder from X onto the other computer, than make an alias of the System Folder and place it where the system folder was on the X drive.

I'm going to give it a shot when the new drive comes in since I'll be reinstalling all day anyway :rolleyes:

I'll post again if it works!

J5

Originally posted by J5
Hey,
I just ordered a 30gig drive for the powerbook, shouldn't have any space issues then! Anyway, one of my thoughts was to just copy the whole System folder from X onto the other computer, than make an alias of the System Folder and place it where the system folder was on the X drive.

I'm going to give it a shot when the new drive comes in since I'll be reinstalling all day anyway :rolleyes:

I'll post again if it works!

J5
If an alias does not work, try a unix link or symbolic link. (See man ln)

Already tried that. If you use Mac aliases, you will get a kernel panic on startup. If you use UNIX symbolic links, OS X will work fine, except for Carbon apps, which will refuse to start. I never did try Classic apps, but since Carbon is very necessary, this "trick" renders OS X unusable.

Back