BT broadband on Panther

bez

Registered
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have recently updated my old imac to a powerbook G4. I can not get my broadband supplied by bt to work as they have not created the drivers for the system yet. Can I download the appropriate ones anywhere off the web, or has anyone else had this problem and resolved it. The modem is a bt voyager 100 usb adsl. Cheers guys
bez

Be aware that the drivers for the BT USB ADSL modem do not work with 10.2.7 or later (incl. 10.3.x).

I was told this by BT themselves while trying to set it up for a client.

Personally I'd go for a Netgear or Linksys ADSL Router (my preference is Netgear for ease of use v features)

[edit]OK, maybe I should have been a bit more with it when reading the first post... What I meant to say is that BT said that the drivers were not available even from the people who make the Voyager (Alcatel or Motorolla, they were rather hazy on who it is)[/edit]

Welcome to the forum :)

Take a look at this thread;

http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37092

Try contacting the thread starter for the info you need.

I have recently set up broadband with BT in the UK. They supplied a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL modem which I use on my Mac G4 1.25 dual running 10.2.6 (now 10.2.8). Everything is fine with the connection - except when I shut down the computer, a second before it shuts off the power it crashes and comes up with the YOU MUST RESTART etc text.

Then of course I have to hold in the power button for 10 secs to power down. Is there a way around this annoying situation? It did it in 10.2.6 so I upgraded to 10.2.8 and there was no change.

I've read a little about the bad karma between USB modems and Macs, but we have a similar modem at work which gives no trouble on the same machines.

If there's NOTHING I can do I heard ethernet modems are better. What do I need to get them to work? A hub? Or do they just plug into the ethernet socket and have independent power? Are they much more expensive? Help much appreciated.

OK, I have an update to the story.

Today I got a cheap self-powered 4 port USB hub, plugged the modem in and... so far the G4's behaving itself and no longer crashing on shutdown. I think it must have been a power issue and not a driver problem.

I hope this tale helps someone else with a similar problem - although so far I haven't found anyone!

Back