cannot remove icon from desktop!! help!

Marzio

Registered
Hello everbody,
I am a Mac newbie in help. I just downloaded and installed a program. The program is up and running but i have this annoying icon on my desktop which cannot be removed. If i drag it to the dock it will just make a copy. if i drag it to programs; it says that there allready is an older version, if i then continue the program stops working. Deleting the icon doesn't help either. So, how do i get rid of this icon from my desktop?

Thanks

Hi Marzio and welcome to the forum.
We do not discuss about any p2p tools. Check out our board rules for that.
However, if you want to get rid of an application icon try these: mark the icon and press apple+delete. Is it maybe a mounted drive you got there? Right-click the icon and click on unmount. If you want to get an icon out of the dock, simply drag it to your desktop.
If you simply can't delete it, open a terminal and type:
cd Desktop
sudo rm file.name
<type in your user password>
Hope one of these will work for your case.

If you came from the PC-world, an alias is the same like a shortcut. It's a file that contains a link to the program file. You should be able to trash it using Apple+Delete or moving it to the trash bin. If that doesn't work, try the terminal trick I mentioned in my previous post.
Good luck!

Also check the preferences of the application itself -- IIRC, some applications (like the one you mention) have a preferences to the tune of something like, "Recreate desktop alias if missing," or something like that.

Back