Capturing a DV signal from many computers

dani++

usin UNIX since '92
I have made several Google and macosx-searches for an answer to this.

Many Firewire docs point out that "Within the 1394 bus, each node acts as a repeater between nodes and simulates a logically joined bus. It also allows multiple computers to share a given peripheral without any special support in the peripheral or the computers. ".

So, at least in theory, one should be able to connect a Firewire device to a Firewire hub and share it between client machines.

Firewire hard drives, for instance, would act as cheap local storage network systems. However, OS's such as MacOSX or XP need to 'mount' a drive to operate it and it seems they do not support in any way several client machines mounting a drive at the same time.

I have one of those standalone analogic-to-DV converters, they work very well, they act like DV cameras to my capture apps. For obvious reasons they are not remotable (I suppose remoting commands are just ignored).

Could I share its DV output among many computers to capture from all of them? Could I use a Firewire hub for this? Has anyone tried it?

(Unfortunately I don't have a FW hub at hand, and before buying one just for the test seems a waste).

Thanks in advance,

Dani

I don't think the FW hub is going to server as a "router" which is what you really need for the drive to function as a server. The hub just let's you plug in more firewire devices, effectively giving the computer that it's plugged in to more ports from which to choose.

You could serve the drive connected to a computer and then have those on your network connect to that computer, thereby being able to access the drive. But I'm not sure you can use the drive by itself as a server.

Natobasso said:
You could serve the drive connected to a computer and then have those on your network connect to that computer, thereby being able to access the drive. But I'm not sure you can use the drive by itself as a server.

Just as I suspected, but in fact, I don't want to share a drive. I would like to share a DV output stream from a DV-producing device. Do you think it's possible?

brianleahy said:
I have a DV/Analog converter - and a firewire hub - but only 1 computer.

ah well

Oh. Well, if you ever have any friend drop by with a FW-capable portable or the like you could give it a shot and tell us? :D

Has anyone tried it using a standard DV camera?

Back