Chimera has changed its name

"Ca-mì-no". Read it like it was Italian or Spanish, because it is. [Road, chimney]

Earlier today on the download part of the new Camino page (on mozilla.org) read the newest version as .7 while the download was still .6

However they have since changed it back to .6

Does this mean we can expect .7 in the next few days?

0.7 is 'rumoredly' ready. A few name change in the source and it should be ok, I suppose.

For my own, I'll still rename the program to Chimera on my disk. Camino is, sorry to say it, UGLY ! Plus, on a symbolic point of view, 'road' is fine for a browser, while 'chimney' is not what I call a suitable term to describe a Web browser…

iChimney ;)

Yet, it's "Camino" now. :)

Maybe we should adapt to it. I do _HOPE_ that the app's name is Camino and not Navigator?

I also think that the name Camino is ugly, but at least in Portuguese, its equivalent, caminho, means "way", as in the way to get somewhere.

i agree camino is an ugly name. and i'll also say i've lost faith in the "camino" people. personally, i've taken quite a liking to safari, but i've been partial to the old chimera until recently. namely, when i read the post by the chimera guy saying that he may as well give up since safari is out. jesus man. wnat a frickin downer. he basically admitted defeat before safari is even in official release! sorry, but i can support someone with that attitude about their product. so have fun with el camino. i saw one on the road the other day!

cf25 - don't fret. Mike Pinkerton, while a lead developer on the Camino project, is just one of many working on it. Simon Fraser does a whole lot of work too, and if Mike up and decided to quit, there are several people there to continue on.

Now that the project name has been changed, the big question is whether the product name will change from Navigator to Camino. We shall soon find out...

And from everything that's been posted in the Camino mailing list, 0.7 has been ready to go for weeks now. They were basically just waiting on the the legalities of getting Camino secured as a new name. Now that it has happened, we should see 0.7 released within days...

In something not too unrelated, I'm using the first build of Camino (actually called Camino) and I have to say that it is AWESOME. I find it much faster than Safari (except for loading initially) and at least all of the web pages work properly (which is not even close to being the case in Safari).

I think Apple should have just used the Camino engine and improved on it cause Safari is a severely handicapped browser when it comes to compatibility.

Originally posted by cellfish
In something not too unrelated, I'm using the first build of Camino (actually called Camino) and I have to say that it is AWESOME. I find it much faster than Safari (except for loading initially) and at least all of the web pages work properly (which is not even close to being the case in Safari).

I think Apple should have just used the Camino engine and improved on it cause Safari is a severely handicapped browser when it comes to compatibility.
1. Apple's browser is younger, much younger, and as such you can compare it to how Camino (then Chimera) was when it was this young. Safari is coming along very well, and faster than Camino did (for obvious reasons of funding for development and such). The Camino engine is Gecko, which is also used by Mozilla and Netscape. At this point, Camino is simply the best implementation of this engine; however, had Apple used the same engine, there is no guarantee they would have been able to have the same advantages. Safari could have been more like Netscape, or worse. Apple decided to bring something fresh to the platform, and I welcome it. I use different browsers for different things, and that works for me: I like having 4 different rendering engines on one computer (Safari, Internet Explorer, Camino, OmniWeb). And it is better for website designers this way, so they can test their websites using different rendering engines that are cross-platform without using another computer (or VPC). I would hope that Camino loads pages properly by now, it's been developed long enough. Safari will be great when it becomes finalized, and sites that don't seem to work right on it will simply be the ones coded for a specific browser.

Hummm I just downloaded the nightly build of Camino and I like the way it loads pages better. But otherwise it seems the same. Maybe i just need to test more. Either way i'm torn between Safari and Camino

Back