classic question

hgreenfi

Registered
I have a powerbook G4 running a clean install of 10.2.1 without classic installed. If possible I would like to install classic onto this computer without having to reinstall jaguar. I have tried copying the System Folder from the os 9.2 install disk to my harddrive. Once this was done I was able to launch classic at which point jaguar installed several new items into my system 9 folder. Thought I had it, but now os9 tells me that the system folder in question can only be used from the cdrom. Any ideas how I can install classic without reformating my harddrive or losing any of my info in jaguar?

Thanks for your help :)

Reinstall OS 9, by booting to the OS 9 install CD, and run installer, choose to install without reformatting HD. There you are! Very confusing is Classic. You can't actually boot to just Classic, If you have only one OS 9 system folder, then that's where the Classic components go. But you have to have OS 9 installed to be able to boot to OS 9, (which is technically not Classic, except that's where Classic is !) I'm glad that's cleared up! 1. Boot to OS 9. That's OS 9. 2. Boot to OS X. run a Classic application. now you're using Classic. Some 'OS 9" extensions, etc. are not used with Classic because their function is provided by OS X. Whew!:rolleyes:

Two ways that I think you could do it. first place your cd in the drive and select it as the classic start up disk. Install from there. (I've never tried it that way though)

Or, your other option is to place your system restore disk in and mount the restore disk image. In my experience it's always been kept in the "configurations" folder. you'll find a .img file named "Powerbook HD.img" or something to that effect. At least that's the way it's been for my B&W G3 and my Sister's iMac SE. Drag the system folder from there to your HD and you should be set.

No reboot needed! :D

Edit: I did, in fact, do it the second way with a 9.0.4 system restore CD from the iMac and it worked great!

Back