Computer Won't Boot Up...hellllp

kkrease

Registered
OK so....I came back to my computer and it was just extremely slow. So I restart, it takes a little bit longer than I thought, but restarts, and logs into the desktop, but is still really slow. I restart maybe like 2 more times. Then the third time I try to, it doesn't even get to the user log in part. It just turns on, makes the normal ring, and goes to the gray screen with the apple in the background and the little progress circle going around and around. No progress at all. It just stays there.

well... what did you do before that?
You could try zapping the pram: close the computer press ctrl-command-P-R at the same time until you hear couple of boot sounds then release and wait.
Or try starting from your install or restore dvd or cd by pressing C while starting up and run disk utility to repair permissions

tomi

Which mac is it, kkrease? What had you done before the restart, which programs were running?
How much free space did you have on the mac (of how much space)? Is there somehting that made it suddenly slower? An uodate of some software etc?

1. Try booting with your Mac OS X CD by inserting it while it's at the gray screen, then reboot with the power button and hold "C" right after the chime. It will load the installer, but Do Not install, go the "Installer" menu and select "Disk Utility". Select "Macintosh HD" and click "Repair Permissions".

If that fails, try:

2. Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Back