Connecting my guitar to my Powerbook

bez

Registered
Hi all,
I have a 12" Powerbook and want to record my guitar through Garageband. I have been reading a few old threads and am a bit confused as to what I exactly need to connect the guitar to my Powerbook. My guitar is an electric Gibson, so what cable/ converter do I need to connect it to my comp. Its just for a bit of basic recording so I dont want to spend a lot of cash if I can help it. I found this for griffin technology

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garageband_cables/

Would this suffice on its own? Does this allow me to play and record through my headphone jack on the side of my powerbok? Help please!!!

bez said:
Would this suffice on its own? Does this allow me to play and record through my headphone jack on the side of my powerbok?

Yes, that cable is all you need. Don't plug it into the headphone jack, use the input jack, instead. They're next to each other on the left side.

That is the correct cable.

Also, go to System preferences>Sound, and select Line in instead of Microphone.

Cheers guys, so the line in is the one with a circle with 2 triangles either side? If so I am going to order the cable. Thanks for your help.

That is correct.

You can use your electric guitar directly to the Powerbook but I find it's better to use it through an amp.

So it goes Guitar into Amp via input. Amp into powerbook via new cable (from headphone jack to Inline).

Enjoy!! Gibson? Lucky...I have a Squier Strat.

bez said:
Hi all,
I have a 12" Powerbook and want to record my guitar through Garageband. I have been reading a few old threads and am a bit confused as to what I exactly need to connect the guitar to my Powerbook. My guitar is an electric Gibson, so what cable/ converter do I need to connect it to my comp. Its just for a bit of basic recording so I dont want to spend a lot of cash if I can help it. I found this for griffin technology

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/garageband_cables/

Would this suffice on its own? Does this allow me to play and record through my headphone jack on the side of my powerbok? Help please!!!
Monster do a cable just for this purpose: Monster iStudioLink instrument adaptor, found on the Apple site, not too expensive.

I found a 3rd party cable that also works fine for about £6 (US$10). I use a Kramer Focus VT111S electric and have had no probs to date, although I think it would be better through an amp as mentioned in the other posts.

Back