Control clicking restarts Finder

MrNivit1

Registered
I don't know when or how this developed, but whenever I bring up the contextual menu in the finder (OSX vers 10.3.5), the finder seems to restart (like it crash-quits and relaunches). What are the files associated with the contextual menu and can those files be reinstalled? This behavior happens only in the finder, other applications bring up the contextual menu fine. Nothing else is going funny, I would just like the use of the contextual menu back. Any help would be great...

Not yet, will a new copy of it show up after I delete it? (i.e. is it an essential file like the finder pref file was under OS 9?)

Deleted both the com.apple.finder.plist and the com.apple.finder.sidebar files, still have the same problem... I'll try poking around the preferences folders to see if anything else stikes me as odd... Any other suggestions would be helpful.

/System/Library/Contextual Menu Items/

I would just try reinstalling the Cumulative 10.3.5 update from Apple's site. That should clear it up. If not, then something else is probably interfering with it. Did you install any plugins lately?

All that is in that folder (/System/Library/Contextual Menu Items/) is a file called: FolderActionsMenu.plugin. Should I either delete it or find a fresh copy?

you can try to replace it by mine ?

Attachments

• FolderActionsMenu.plugin.zip
    22 KB · Views: 1
Thanks, but that didn't help... BUT, I figured it out! Apparently I had an extra plugin buried in my user account's Library/Contextual Menu Items folder for an old application that I deleted a bit ago. I guess it was referencing an app that wasn't there anymore. The Finder probably thought, "well that doesn't make sense, let's start over". One good testiment to OS X, though, the Finder restarts but everything else about the system stays stable; even other Apps. Problem solved! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! Thanks!

Back