D-link wireless router and Airport card?

evildan

Super Moderator
Hey anyone have any luck hooking up a wireless Apple laptop with an Airport card installed?

I am able to access the wireless router, it assigns an IP address to the laptop, just can't access the internet... I suppose if it's getting an ip, it's working, and the error probably exists in the router settings.

But I thought someone here might have some information on the subject... perhaps some insight?

evildan said:
Hey anyone have any luck hooking up a wireless Apple laptop with an Airport card installed?

I am able to access the wireless router, it assigns an IP address to the laptop, just can't access the internet... I suppose if it's getting an ip, it's working, and the error probably exists in the router settings.

But I thought someone here might have some information on the subject... perhaps some insight?

I have an Airport card in my iBook and a D-Link 614+ Wireless Router and, for me at least, they worked together out of the box. Just make sure you turn Airport on and select the right network from the pull-down. Also, make sure that WEP is not enabled on your router. You really should have it enabled to keep your network secure, but if you do that you will have to enter that info in the Airport settings. However, since you are getting an IP from the router, I would suggest going into the web interface of the router and making sure that access restrictions are not set for that IP. One thing to try, if it is a new router and you don't have a lot of custom settings on it yet, is to reset, via the web interface, the router back to its factory settings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

I'm a little lost on this network, because it was set up by someone else. I was hoping to just have it work, but didn't want to dig into it any further if it wasn't possible. I thought since I was being handed an IP internet should have been no problem.

I'll have to bother the person who set the network up, since I don't know how to access the administrative options on the router. I tried the web based browser but that didn't seem to work. I think I actually need to use some installed program, which doesn't appear to be on any of the computers on the LAN.

Thanks for all your help, I'll post my progress.

Just don't try to change the router settings wirelessly. I know both D-Link and Linksys wireless routers should only be set up by a wired connection and suspect that must be true for all such devices.

My neighbor's G3 300MHz iBook also worked right away with an AirPort card and AirPort Setup Assistant on our D-Link network. But our internet connection does go out several times a day...

Back