darwin

acidtuch10

Registered
Unable to find anything using the search… So a few questions and maybe someone can help?

I have a B&W with OS9 and OS X installed and a 9gig SCSI as a DATA drive. But would like to install open Darwin on this.

1. Once installed can the start up panel in OS9 or OS X be used to boot open Darwin?
2. Can a windows manager be installed? Such as KDE, gnome or any other with out using FINK?
3. Once installed and configured with a GUI, is there a known application repository or web site that application can be downloaded and installed, if so is there a How to on this?

Once again I searched google and a few forums and even scoured open Darwin site unable to find answers.

Thanks

Um. you already have Darwin - Mac osx. why not just put kde, gnome or whatever on, for use in an X11 window-server?

I imagine the experiece would be similar to any other *NIX operating system out there. I believe I tried one time to get Apple's Darwin installed on a Power Mac 8550. Everything installed fine, but it was very new and I don't think it came with any X server installer. You had to compileit I believe. It might be a lot different now, especially with OpenDarwin.

I guess the reason is just to learn alittle more, I understand that I can install alternative window managers on OS X - Just thought it would be neat to have the B&W booting OS9 and OS X along with Darwin with gnome.

The only how tos and docs I can find are from FINKS web site. Just thought someone else mayhave ran dawin with another GUI.

You ought to be able to get things built using darwinports from opendarwin.org, or pkgsrc from netbsd.

pkgsrc is the more mature of the two, darwinports is more specifically geared to Darwin and OS X. Check the package lists for both, make sure the packages you want are in there and of a recent enough version. I've found fink packages can be fairly out of date sometimes.

Back