Dead iBook :(

Total Konfuzion

Registered
Blah...

I've had my iBook for about a year now and it's worked fine, NO problems whatsoever and of course, now...that i'm going through a whole bunch of problems(life problems) it has to die on me. Basically I was using it on my desk and i went to put it on my lap and the screen started changing colors and just spazzing out...lines everywhere, etc. Then it just went black...I shut it down and rebooted...the machine booted to osx just fine but everything i move it around, or tap right above the center of the keyboard the screen goes crazy. I guess i'm going to have to send it into Apple for repairs it's just over the 1 year warrenty but luckily i bought a 3 year AppleCare Plan. w00t@that decision. Now my question is....can i take it to my local Apple Store? Or do i have to call up the support number and such? :rolleyes:

Total Konfuzion said:
Blah...

I've had my iBook for about a year now and it's worked fine, NO problems whatsoever and of course, now...that i'm going through a whole bunch of problems(life problems) it has to die on me. Basically I was using it on my desk and i went to put it on my lap and the screen started changing colors and just spazzing out...lines everywhere, etc. Then it just went black...I shut it down and rebooted...the machine booted to osx just fine but everything i move it around, or tap right above the center of the keyboard the screen goes crazy. I guess i'm going to have to send it into Apple for repairs it's just over the 1 year warrenty but luckily i bought a 3 year AppleCare Plan. w00t@that decision. Now my question is....can i take it to my local Apple Store? Or do i have to call up the support number and such? :rolleyes:

I think you can bring your book to any Apple authorized service provider.

all set and done, gonna get it back in about a week....they say it's a hardware problem, go figure, heh. Hopefully they won't wipe my HDD :( But whatever, I have a backup.

The wierd thing is, is that i investigated the problem on the apple message boards and apparantly it's some sort of design flaw in all apple iBooks with the hinge and some reed wires and so forth...blah. Not sure what it is, but some people are on their 3rd and 4th repair :( Hopefully i don't have to go through all that.

I've had it and a friend with a g4 powerbook as well. I don't have applecare, but 'luckily' it happened within a year. Now I have a call number I can use when the problem returns and it will still fall within the first year guarantee.

I had the same problem, just after the one year, and I didn't have applecare ... this design flaw will keep me from ever recommending an iBook to anyone!

Yeah "logic card" was the diag on it...which means the motherboard of the thing is shot...i dont' know why they even bother calling it a "Card" because it's not, heh. They are going to replace the motherboard and i just hope it doesn't happen again, at least not too quickly, seeing as there are a bunch of people that have had the same problem. Then again i'm sure that apple has sold millions of iBooks...maybe if enough of them go bad a recall be in enstated, heh.

I believe every iBook after the clamshell ones....but i'm not sure of this being a "design flaw" though it sure seems like it might be according to what i've read so far.

uh oh...i"ve got a 600mhz version...:p

that doesn't make me feel too good about my little Laptop.

Apple's Company Line is that there is NO PROBLEM.

Just an isolated incident.

I've had a graphite clamshell and an IceBook and only had 1 problem with each (other than one kernal panic on the Ice. My Apple key has come off the Ice and the battery died on my graphite, but other than that, both are still in working condition and doing great.

Mine was a 700mhz G3 IBook Dual USB/Firewire model, 14 inch...i just got it back and it's working fine..for now *knocks on some more wood*

Back