Definitely weird OSX Finder experience copy/replace

MLJ_osxcom

Registered
I will try to keep this short. OSX 10.3.4 & working fine & reliable and stable.

DL a copy fn CopyPaste-X 2.5 final today. I had an original 2.0 F and a beta 2.5b4 which had been running week or more with no problems.

Quit the CP2.5b4, opened dmg CP2.5, dragged to my app F (to REPLACE the existing CP2.5b4 with exact same name CopyPaste-X 2.5), and it asked for Admin pswd. Should have thought that weird. Enter my admin pswd, and almost immediately the App F closed. All attempts to reopen this Folder failed. Log out/in reboot , permissions fix, nothing worked.

Discovered column view worked but any attempt to select CP2.5 F to examine or trash it closed the App F again.

Tried making NEW folder and one at a time copy into it from App folder. Worked until I got to CopyPaste-X 2.5 folder. Immediately closed the folder again. NOw the New FOlder exhibited the same thing (it had successfully copied the suspect corrupt CP2.5 folder into it).

Not being a UNIX comfortable command line person, I was stumped.

Finally made a new folder with EXACT same name, COPIED that into App folder REPLACED the corrupt CP2.5 Folder. Then I could trash the now empty CP2.5 folder. Now the App folder would open in column view. Did the same to trash the corrupt suspect CP2.5 F in the new folder I'd made before.

Weirder still I tested all folders in App F and all worked except the original CP2.0 folder. Now it did the same thing, immediately CLOSED the App F.

Tried to drag copy & REPLACE from a backup copy from another partition of CP 2.0 F. It did this but new copy made same IMMEDIATE CLOSING of app F.

Had to trash it the same roundabout way with empty FOLDER with same name.

Finally copied my original CP2.0 F from a backup on another partition and that worked.

Now all is well. Definitely NOT THE MAC WAY.

Not sure if I want to go through all this again or not.

No clue what was going on here, but a bug. Back to running CopyPaste-X 2.0 successfully.

Back