Ding-Dong the Witch is dead!! IE no more!

Ah well, who cares? I haven't used it for months, and that will be one less version I have to check my web designs on! :)

Yep, same here... haven't used it since Camino/Chimera started really coming on strong (until Safari came of course ;))

So, what next for Microsoft to cross off it's Mac list of products!?

Hey, I use Safari 95% of the time. The other 5% is split up between Camino and Firebird, as Safari doesn't work completely with my online banking site.

That said, I do hope that MS doesn't stop development of IE for the Mac. I don't use it, but having options are good. Especially when there are so many moronic web developers who code sites to work on nothing but IE (they should all be shot IMO).

Competition is good. The more competition, the better. If MS doesn't intend for IE to compete in the Mac browser field, then good riddends. But I do hope MS sees an opportunity and not and out, and decides to actually (gasp!) - innovate with the Mac browser, like they did back in 1999, when IE 5 for the Mac was way ahead of the PC version.

What interested me was the statement that MS will no longer build 'standalone' versions of IE. For those who don't agree with integrating a web browser into their OS, that's not good. If MS continue with their current attitudes, will you even be able to install Opera in Longhorn? :)

Originally posted by monktus
What interested me was the statement that MS will no longer build 'standalone' versions of IE. For those who don't agree with integrating a web browser into their OS, that's not good. If MS continue with their current attitudes, will you even be able to install Opera in Longhorn? :)

Install it? Of course! Why not? Now having it work, that's another thing entirely. "DOS ain't done 'til Lotus won't run". Or in this case, "IE ain't done 'til Opera won't run".

This is interesting though. Apple may try and make huge strides and finish Safari in time for Panther, so that the new 970/Panther machines won't be stuck with an old browser.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
That said, I do hope that MS doesn't stop development of IE for the Mac. I don't use it, but having options are good. Especially when there are so many moronic web developers who code sites to work on nothing but IE (they should all be shot IMO).

Competition is good. The more competition, the better...

I'll second that! I have no love for Microsoft, but any company stopping production of a product for our platform can only be thought of as a bad thing.

Ouch! I don't use IE, except to test beta versions of websites. I hope Safari fixes the few minor points by then.

This was bound to happen. IE is not half the browser Safari is and one only can hope that Safari will get better with time.

IE fans, hang on tight to your versions, might want to toss one on a CD-ROM somtime before the summer runs out. :(

Inevitable and very welcome except for a one site that I must use it to access* I'll just have to hang on to my current version and hope that the site I need it for gets a clue and implements something better.

I subscribe to Sirius Satellite Radio and am able to listen to the music streams online while I'm not in my car, but need WMP to do so and can only activate it for the site using IE (password protection and that sort of thing).

Doesn't bother me any. I never use IE. A matter of fact, it gave me more problems then anything. I use Safari 99% for everything.

M$ is no longer developing standalone IE for Windows or Mac, so losing it on the Mac is not truly a loss. It simply is incorrectly named now, and is only the integrated file browser for Windows (like Finder in MacOS X) AFAIK. Since M$ brought MSN to the Mac, they will now only have MSN explorer as their flagship browser, so to speak. Funny how its main purpose, as some others have said, is to be an IE that promotes MSN Messenger. Funny because that is what Netscape really is: Mozilla made to promote AIM.

They're only adapting to the situation. What good does it do MS to develop a browser for free? True, on the Windows platform, they got a big advantage, but on the Mac platform? People didn't really _want_ a new or better IE, as long as there are nice alternatives. And that's what Safari, Camino and OmniWeb have become as of late.

Let's hope that the manhours go into VPC and Office 11:mac.

I've alos never used the IE. I'm working 99% with iCab and the 1% with OmniWeb. But in my opinion iCab is the best broswer due to the hundreds of options to control

Originally posted by arden
From http://news.com.com/2100-1032-1012943.html?tag=nl:

They had better not get rid of MP. It may not be the best player in the world, but it's better than Real Player and it's the only one that plays .wmv or sometimes .avi.

No worries, there's plenty of choices for Windows Media files on OS X. I use MPlayer OS X - it's a port of the Linux program MPlayer. Check version tracker, there's other alternatives too.

Many of you may not use it, but many others do. It concerns me to se IE go away because it can be seen as another nail in the coffin of Apple, whether it is true or not.

When Microsoft made the $150 million dollar investment in Apple in 1997, it was seen as a rescue and a bailout for Apple. It sounds plausable, but in actuality Apple had somewhere between $1-2 Billion in cash reserves. In fact, Apple was in better financial shape than most companies in the same size range and sales. Still, Microsoft's actions, which was one of the few ways Apple could get them to settle longstanding patent infringement issues was seen as a bailout.

Apple has a bad history of abandoning software and hardware initiatives. Safari is still in beta. When will Apple finish it? Will it have similar functionality to the Windows version of IE because honestly, this is the only real Browser people code for when developing Web sites. Nobody is going to take into account Safari for years, if ever, when designing Web sites. Few people support Netscape, let along Opera and they have actual marketshare. Apple's share will be so low for years that Google's crawler will register more hits than Safari.

With that said, I'm sick of Microsoft! Their stupid e-mail tools allow viruses to run rampant, IE is a huge resource hog and the damn thing causes the color wheel to start spinning with no aparent reason! What a resource hog! Now they want to defend us from viruses when they are the major promoter of viruses through e-mail and macros, not to mention their own gaffs with Windows OS.

You'd think this kind of neglegence would be considered criminal and companies and individuals should start a class action lawsuit against the company for neglecting to protect people from viruses.

I used to believe that Apple depended on Microsoft and that we, the believers, should all reluctantly bow down to the monopoly and be thankful for the small teet they have allowed us to suckle from.

I also convinced myself that Microsoft Office was absolutely critical to Apple's survival. Same for Explorer.

I was wrong.

Let's face it, at only 3-5%, it can't get much worse. So rather than perpetuating this "Thanks, massa" attitude from Apple, I love the new "Screw you" approach (Safari, Mail, iWorks [if it exists], etc.).

I like that Stevo is willing to risk it all to develop a very self-contained, integrated and enjoyable OS experience.

If M$ never updated v.X for me, I could care less. As long as the current version keeps working, I'm good to go. It's just a freaking Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation suite, it's not like it's Lightwave or something. [I do need compatibility with my PC cohorts, so iWorks best be able to Read/Write .doc, .xls and others.]

Whoah, I got way off tangent here. What was the topic again? Oh yeah...IE for Mac gone. I DONT' CARE!

I take that back. I do sort of care cuz I do web development and am always testing across browsers. Unfortunately, the Mac/PC versions of IE have never been on par, so its loss doesn't really mean anything. It's not like you could ever look at the same page in Mac/PC IE and have them look the same.

Safari, glitches aside, has already proven itself to be a more standards compliant browser (than IE 5), so I look forward to seeing it mature.

Scruffy: What about OS 9? Remember, only about 1.5-2% of the market uses OS X regularly, not including me. Besides, who offers the best support for WMP files, a program from Microsoft or a program from a 3rd party? (Knowing Microsoft, though...)

I just hope that if they do decide to update IE 5.1 for 9, it includes support for the latest DOM, CSS, etc. updates and properly displays certain kinds of coding techniques. That's the main thing about browser updates, they have to display new types of technologies and new evolutions of old technologies correctly.

Back