Dual 2GHz G5 for the home???

jmo

Registered
At what point can one rationally say that they _need_ a Dual 2GHz G5 in the home? I am trying to decide which G5 to buy....

Irrationally, buying the Dual 2GHz G5 would help to compensate for the physical decay and loss of virility that is middle age, but I can't see any real current need for so much horsepower for home use for someone who is not an avid gamer. A perceived increase in the longevity of the computer is the best rationalization that I have been able to come up with.

Any thoughts on the subject?

---jmo

The difference in price between the 1.8 and the 2.0 DP will buy a very nice monitor.

I have always bought the second fastest machine and gotten 3+ years from them.

Just how long do you expect to keep the machine?

The trick is not to spend the time rationilizing what you "need".

Instead spend your brainpower trying to rationalized why "want" is just as legitimate as need.

Buying the top of the line G5 because you want to is no different than getting sprinkles on your ice cream because you want to. When is the last time you had a big debate with yourself over sprinkles?

If you can buy it... then DO buy it!

:D :p ;)

...after all don't you really "need" me to feel jealous because you bought it and I didn't?

Originally posted by baldprof
The difference in price between the 1.8 and the 2.0 DP will buy a very nice monitor.

I have always bought the second fastest machine and gotten 3+ years from them.

Just how long do you expect to keep the machine?
True...

But what you really want to do is buy it ALL... The monitor and everything!!!

::ha:: ::angel:: :cool:

Oh, if you have enough green to get a dual 2.0, just do it. C'mon, quit kidding yourself. But if I were you I would get a single 1.8 and throw a friggin ton of memory in it and get a nice 20 inch monitor, or mabye - dual 17 inch monitors!
A dual 2.0 GHZ PowerMac is really just too much for the home, I agree :^) But a 1.8GHZ with lods of ram and hard drive with dual cinema's and a formac studio would be bomb!

Get creative: Jazz up those home movies and make DVDs.

Help science: run a distributed computing project like SETI or fold proteins for medical studies. That'll occupy one CPU producing many results than you only have to worry about what to do with the other 2 GHz still idle.

Hmmm... can't think of anything else that would interest you. What else do you like to do with computers? How does the idea of compiling large packages of code appeal to you?

Originally posted by TommyWillB
The trick is not to spend the time rationilizing what you "need".

Instead spend your brainpower trying to rationalized why "want" is just as legitimate as need.

Buying the top of the line G5 because you want to is no different than getting sprinkles on your ice cream because you want to. When is the last time you had a big debate with yourself over sprinkles?

If you can buy it... then DO buy it!

:D :p ;)

...after all don't you really "need" me to feel jealous because you bought it and I didn't?

:p ;)

Sigh. I wasn't going to do this, but I just can't stand the thought of feeling jealous of someone. A 2GHz it shall be. Let them feel jealous.:D

Honestly at the moment I don't see anyone "NEEDING" anything higher than the fastest G4 for home... I imagine prices would be very reasonable now.

Now a "Home Office", DVD Authoring, lots of Photoshop, and other power-hungry apps, I see NEEDING a G5

Like me! I NEED the Dual G5 BAD! but can't afford it! Hmmm... maybe I'll get a Dell Laptop (for Linux!) and save the rest of the money I was going to spend on the 17" Power Book for the Dual G5 Tower? Yeah, dream on - me! heh :)

Originally posted by Sogni
Honestly at the moment I don't see anyone "NEEDING" anything higher than the fastest G4 for home...
Yeah... That's what they said about 512k of RAM. ::ha::

This line of argument is as old as the ages...

That's also why I'm an advocate of ingnoring need and only worrying about what you want.

For what it's worth:

With my PC/Windows background, I've always seen PC hardware one step ahead of software. Even games. New graphics cards and 3D APIs become available up to 6 or more months before game developers really start to take advantage of it.

But then I looked at OSX and my personal feeling is that it puts quite a burden on the hardware, rightful so I might add, because of the wonderful things OSX does. Granted most of it is just eye candy. But the idea is they're making software that puts the hardware to work, and third party software developers do the same. So yes, even the average home user deserves work horses like a G5. Because the software empowers us!

That's how I rationalize arguments that Macs are slower than PCs. There's "perceived" performance which is different than actual performance. Perceived performance is something like resizing or moving a window. Before Quartz Extreme, such tasks was sluggish because what the software was trying to do was too much for the hardware. Now the software has been optimized and the hardware upped as well, we have 3D acceleration with plenty of video RAM in all Mac systems. All this spells out an overall more pleseant user experience.

Originally posted by jmo
At what point can one rationally say that they _need_ a Dual 2GHz G5 in the home? I am trying to decide which G5 to buy....

Irrationally, buying the Dual 2GHz G5 would help to compensate for the physical decay and loss of virility that is middle age, but I can't see any real current need for so much horsepower for home use for someone who is not an avid gamer. A perceived increase in the longevity of the computer is the best rationalization that I have been able to come up with.

Any thoughts on the subject?

---jmo

Rationally buying Dual G5 for home use? Well, if it happens to actually work at home and more important at creative fields, YES! But if all you do is run this game, surf the net, etc. even a Dual G4 is overkill! :p ::ha::

For games I should buy a Wintel/Amd or even better a console like XBOX, PS2, GameCube, etc. :rolleyes:

Anyways, if one has the money why not? :rolleyes: For example I would go for the Dual G5/2GHz/8GB RAM/500GB HD/etc. Dual 23" Cinemas, 7.1 Surround Speakers, etc. :p :D

;)

Originally posted by TommyWillB

That's also why I'm an advocate of ingnoring need and only worrying about what you want.

OH! _WANT_!!! Well that's a totally different subject, isn't it? :)

Maybe it's a good thing I can't get a credit card - or else I'd be so deep in debt... :p :)
(17" PowerBook, PC Laptop, Dual 2Ghz G5, TFT iMac, XServe, buncha software...) :p

Well, might as well get shot for a lamb as a sheep, eh?

I ordered the dual 2GHz with 1GB of SDRAM. Now, I'll just sit here with my still-in-the-box (nothing to plug it into!) 20" Cinema Display and wait. It's gonna be a long hot summer. :)

---jmo

Originally posted by jmo
Well, might as well get shot for a lamb as a sheep, eh?

I ordered the dual 2GHz with 1GB of SDRAM. Now, I'll just sit here with my still-in-the-box (nothing to plug it into!) 20" Cinema Display and wait. It's gonna be a long hot summer. :)

---jmo

Still, if you can add some things like:
-1GB more RAM
-new iPod 30GB
-ATI Radeon 9800

The summer could become even longer not to mention hotter too! :p :D

;)

Back