External Firewire Drive Problem

AKMedia

Registered
My Maxtor external 40 G Firewire drive does not automount on my desktop after warm restarts or cold starts on my iMac with 10.1.3. It worked fine in 10.1.2 but now misbehaves since the update.

The drive mounts and stays mounted once I unplug and re-plug it in once the Finder loads -- even after sleep.

Hope someone can help me with this annoying little problem.

Thanks.

i had this problem with my new Acom and it went away after their tech support helped me update the bridge. i now have the same problem with my maxtor as well. since i dread dealing with their tech support, i haven't called to bitch yet but just plug and unplug no more often than i reboot. but you might try asking them to help you update the bridge. i would love to hear how it works out if you do:)

Ed, thanks so much for the reply. Just curious, how did you update the bridge with your other drive? Was it a firmware update? Can it be appied to the Maxtor drive as well? Thanks again.
Alan

no, the same update can't be applied (at least in my case) because they use different chips. at least that's what the acom guy told me. it is more than just a click and point procedure. the installer is more like the terminal only it must be done in os 9. the installer is much more of a pro thing than a consumer thing. if maxtor tries to blow you off, ask for a supervisor (what i had to do with Acom) and bitch like you mean business and you know what you are talking about. do not let them treat you like you just stumbled in from aol.;)

I wonder if it has something to do with files on the disk? I have a cheap FW disk I bought about a year ago. It worked fine OS 9. Recently I have started using it on an OS X machine. I have found that when I take it back to an OS 9 machine I have to turn it on once, wait a short while then turn it off then on. Once I do this it works fine. Going back to OS X does not require this. I can only guess that X wrote something funky to the disk that confuses OS 9.

Back