FedEx just dropped off my Mac mini

It occurs to me that the Mini may be the first Mac that could be shipped US mail, and even left in most people's mailboxes...

brianleahy said:
It occurs to me that the Mini may be the first Mac that could be shipped US mail, and even left in most people's mailboxes...

Quite likely. The shipping box is 12"x9"x12", so that would fit in the standard package mailboxes they have.

Some notes that people have asked about (don't know if these have been covered already):

1. It does have an external powerbrick.
2. I didn't plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, and it was able to find my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as part of its initial startup. It was slow to find devices, though. It was probably because the devices were still paired with my iBook at first.
3. Power consumption under full load is 28W, boot is 38W peak, and at idle is 16W.
4. No fan noise at all.

so I wonder - is it or could it be simple enough to share a BT keyboard/mouse between a Mac mini and another computer nearby? how could you switch the pairing... i guess just turn the bt off on the computer not being used...?

Congratulations, Chadwick!

quiksan said:
... I guess just turn the bt off on the computer not being used...?

And how would you turn it back on again. Click on the Bluetooth icon and ... oh, right. ;)

I'm really interested in this. Firstly, can you post a picture of the power-brick, preferably with something to compare it to size-wise. Is it nicely designed? Is it similar to the laptop adapters and Airport Express in appearance?

Also, any other pics you might feel like taking would be cool. :D

chadwick said:
3. Power consumption under full load is 28W, boot is 38W peak, and at idle is 16W.

Just curious - how did you measure this? Or did you read it somewhere?

symphonix said:
Congratulations, Chadwick!

And how would you turn it back on again. Click on the Bluetooth icon and ... oh, right. ;)

I'm really interested in this. Firstly, can you post a picture of the power-brick, preferably with something to compare it to size-wise. Is it nicely designed? Is it similar to the laptop adapters and Airport Express in appearance?

Also, any other pics you might feel like taking would be cool. :D

from what i remember, it is like the Airport extreme power adapters (which i can't seem to find a picture of :-\) which linda looks like macally's power bicks

Here's some grabs from the Apple Quicktime VR of the Mac Mini with Apple ancils. That's a 20-inch Apple flatscreen and standard Apple mouse/keyboard.

Haven't got a clue what the second brick behind the screen is though...

Attachments

• Mac Mini with Apple Accessories 1.jpg
    Mac Mini with Apple Accessories 1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Mac Mini with Apple Accessories 2.jpg
    Mac Mini with Apple Accessories 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 49
Well actually, after looking at the QTVR of the Mac Mini with PC bits and bobs i'm fairly sure that it's the external power supply for the cinema display. It looks like the mac and the display are powered by the same cable. I say it looks because this is all just speculation and i'll no doubt be proved wrong five minutes later!

Looks like you're right!

BTW Chadwick which model didja get, and how much RAM?

(Inquiring minds want to know. ;) )

OK, I measured the power consumption directly with a device you can get at Radio Shack called a Kill-a-Watt. You just plug in your appliance of choice and you can watch the power consumption in a variety of different ways.

I got the 1.42GHz version, with 512MB RAM, SuperDrive, and AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth upgrades. It is quite a bit faster than my 1GHz iBook, as expected. I ran an Xbench on both systems and the Mac mini scored a 121.82 overall, and the iBook a 92.80 overall.

Here is a pic of it with the powerbrick in my hand and next to the Mac, for comparison. I've also got a pic of it sitting on top of one of my PCs:

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

mfsri said:
Isn't that the power brick for the monitor?

It's probably the huge brick-adaptor for the DVI adaptor for Powerbooks/Macs-without-a-full-DVI-jack. I had one once upon a time and the thing was enormous. Almost as big as a Mac Mini...which looks great by the way!

What amazes me is that Apple don't seem to be selling the power adapter as a separate accessory. With the large number of people saying how they'd like to tuck a Mac mini into their bag and plug it in both at work and at home, you'd assume that would be a fairly obvious need.

symphonix said:
What amazes me is that Apple don't seem to be selling the power adapter as a separate accessory. With the large number of people saying how they'd like to tuck a Mac mini into their bag and plug it in both at work and at home, you'd assume that would be a fairly obvious need.

maybe it will be sold by a third party just like how the ipod has so many third party accessories.

fuzz said:
maybe it will be sold by a third party just like how the ipod has so many third party accessories.
I'd doubt this one. No third party produced the G4 Cube external power supply either.

And with that said... it's probably much like the G4 Cube. You'll have to order an extra power supply via part number to AppleCare.

chadwick said:
I got the 1.42GHz version, with 512MB RAM, SuperDrive, and AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth upgrades. It is quite a bit faster than my 1GHz iBook, as expected. I ran an Xbench on both systems and the Mac mini scored a 121.82 overall, and the iBook a 92.80 overall.

Sadly, my 1.8ghz G5 iMac only scores 115 (on a good day). What's up with that?

Back