Firewire Mayhem in 9.2.2

stizz

gorilla beta tester
Our Dual 1.25 G4 is a production machine running 9.2.2 only.

Friday I installed a canopus ADVC100. It worked great. I turned everything off for 3 days. Today I turned it on and none of my firewire devices appeared, including the ADVC100. I checked everything on my powerbook (running x.3) and everything worked. I plugged it all back into the 9.2.2 machine,..and again nothing.

Does anybody know what the most recent apple driver for 9.2.2 is?

Firewire Support 2.8.6
Firewire Enabler 2.8.6

are the latest firewire extentions i have. Does anybody have later versions?

Did you follow the installation guidelines that came with the drive?

I am assuming that you double checked the firewire cables and power cables and made sure the device was turned on.

Next step is to restart the computer.

If you still can't get it recognized, check the manufacturers web site for any updates on the drive for your OS version. There should also be a troubleshooting guide that came with the device.

So here is the answer.

The PMU (power manager unit) button on the logic board needed to be pushed. Go figure.

After I posted my problem, I realized that the problem was present in OS X as well and that the scope of the problem was bigger than i had thought. (so this thread might be in the wrong place). When my firewire drives didnt show up after booting off a 922 install disk, and then still after booting off a Norton X boot disk, i knew something was up. A tech we know mumbled something about the logic board being the culprit. So after a few google queries, i learned all abouth the PMU and how sometime you have to press it to make your firewire work again. Who knew. Anyway, here are the pertinent link, and yes,..everything works now and all is well. Im just pissed I had to open the damn box up, it was rack mounted and not very easy to get too.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031129203343765

Back