Flash Font Issues

evildan

Super Moderator
So, I'm having a bit of a burden when it comes to Flash and fonts. I hope ya'all might be able to help me out.

The font, Univers, was loaded on one machine, with Flash installed. I opened a Flash file on machine A. The font displayed as expected.

Machine B I made the mistake of opening the file before the font was put in the fonts folder. Flash displayed the missing font warning. I quit Flash, copied the fonts to the font folder, exactly as I had with machine A just a few minutes ago. It didn't work.

Some background about each machine:
Same model number, same versions of Flash (6.0 r25), same font(s) installed (and in the same font folders) as each other. Same OS (Mac OSX 10.2.6) The machines are mirrored in almost every way possible.

The ONLY difference I can think of is that on machine b I didn't have the font installed the first time I attempted to open the file.

What I've tried:
- I've zapped the p-ram
- I've restarted the machines
- I've moved the fonts from the user folder to the main font folder.
- Taken machine b back to the pre-installed system fonts, restarted, and installed ONLY "Univers" to prevent font conflict possibilities.
- Tested same environment on my TiBook with success using machine a method.

Other notables:
The font "Univers" is available in other programs, as expected. It is only Flash the chooses to ignore the font entirely.

Is there something I can do to Flash to "forget" that it doesn't know of Univers? Other fonts freely add and subtract themselves from the font list, it's JUST Univers.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I don't use or have Flash, but see if it has a Preference file and delete that.

Thanks Bob, I tried that after my post.

Also tried to create a new user on machine b but Flash still will not recognize the font file located in the /Library/Fonts folder.

Well Unixers works for me in Flash, um, let me look around and see what files you need, Flash is picky about outline files, so if that file is missing, the font won't show in the list of files.

Ok... I checked, i use font reserve to manage my fonts, so... not sure what it could be.

yes, also remember that I'm using the exact files on two other machines, and both of them work fine.

Only one copy of Flash seems to be discriminating against the Univers font files.

I sought out some help from the Flash professionals at Macromedia and found this. which instructed me to delete the following files: com.apple.FCacheLocalDomain com.apple.FCacheClassicDomain and com.apple.FCacheUserDomain.

So after deleting the font cache, I was able to use another variant of the font.

In other words, I've given up for now. Font mapping is my current work-around.

Yeah, I had no idea there was a font cache. I wasn't even considering that, although that seems to be the obvious answer now that I think about it.

Still, the problem persists, I'm unable to use Univers font in Flash. Even though all other programs reflect that it is correctly installed. :(

Back