Formac vs Apple

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
I am just wondering if anyone has used a Formac 17" display. I need to pick between that and the 17" Apple display.

ForMac has better specs than the Apple displays, but I would still like someone's opinions.

I did some research on this topic a month ago:

The general consensus is that the Formac display is nearly as good a buy as the Apple display.

Some pros for the Formac:
-Better picture quallity
-Cheaper
-Better "dead pixel" warranty....3 or more dead pixels and they'll give you a new monitor, Apple is 11 or more.

Cons:
-Not a sturdy monitor...users report the display feels flimsy and that they can squeeze the sides of the display and effect the LCD picture. Sort of scary.
-This may be incorrect: No support for keyboard controls like Apple monitors have

Pros for Apple:
-Sturdier design, many feel it looks better too.
-Keyboard controls the monitor's brighntess

Cons:
-2nd best picture quality behind Formac
-More expensive

Bottom line is this: You can't really go wrong. I found that both displays offered great quality picture and were good buys. If you can afford it comfortably, the Apple may be a better buy simply because it is frightening that the Formac display is so flimsy. They are in my relatively well-read but non-experienced opinion both good buys.

I have never heard about the flimsy thing. But I do like the only 2 dead pixel warrenty.

Maybe a cheap CRT is the way to go???

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
I have never heard about the flimsy thing. But I do like the only 2 dead pixel warrenty.

Maybe a cheap CRT is the way to go???

I ended up with a used 21" Apple CRT for $250. I feel like it was the way to go until LCD prices come down.

I've got a Formac ProNitron 600 which I got when I bought my G4 in 1999 (I think). I love the Formac, the display quality's great, the build quality's fine and they are cheaper than Apple. I think the model I have is discontinued now but as far as I know the new Formacs are still good (except for the cheaper 17" ProNitron, think it was the 200?). Anyway, as Azzgunther said, you can't really go wrong. The only think is (that I found when I was looking in to monitors) is that its probably more difficult to find a Formac stockist where you can go see some monitors and try them out whereas you'll find the Apple ones in any AppleCentre.

I have an iBook with an LCD and an iMac with a CRT, I love my LCD :)
Much crisper and nicer to look at.

LCDs are, in my opinon, much better looking and easier on the eyes.

I would recommend a CRT to a person who is seeking the most size for their buck...you can get 2 good 21" CTR monitors for the price of 1 17" LCD. Again, they won't look as nice as LCD screens will but they'll give you more screen real-estate.

Back