Frozen Ipod

Webbs

Registered
I have had my ipod for sevral months now and have yet to have a problem accept for the occasional skip on my extend jogs. Today while jogging a little over 30 minutes it stopped playing. When I gave it a look it was frozen in a song selction menu. None of the buttons worked and the back light was stuck on. Plugging it into the wall and computer did nothing, so I had to just let the bettery drain out. After it drained, recharging the ipod fixed the problem.
Although it seems to work now; I was wondering if anyone has had simular experiences and know what causes it to freeze?

You can probably work around the freeze next time by holding down the center select button and the menu button at the same time (provided it's a 4th-generation iPod) for several seconds. That should reset the iPod.

You don't want to discharge the iPod completely very much. Lithium Ion batteries perform the best when there's still some charge in the battery, and it's not recommended to let the battery completely die.

Ah, yeah, that reset trick should do it next time. Mine's locked up twice, and both times a reset as described above got it working again.

I should note that before you perform the reset procedure, flip the hold switch to the "on" position, then to the "off" position, then do the magic key combo. If hold is already "on", add an extra step - off, on, then off.

I hope that helps next time!

Ah, yeah, that reset trick should do it next time. Mine's locked up twice, and both times a reset as described above got it working again <Quoted>

Yup,
Mine locks up all the time.
I have a 20gig 4th Gen and I put the iTrip on it and broadcast through my house and garage — a good 60 ft away. Works great... but every so often the darn thing just hangs and totally unresponsive. Holding down the center button and the menu button has always done the trick here.

However; the first time it happened I was driving near the apple store so I went in to "Ask a Genius" and they showed me that reset trick. Boy did I feel stupid.
It is in the manual :))))

The lock up happens to me once a week. It'll be just sitting on my desk plugged into my speakers and it stops. The only thing that still moves is the volume control, but like that matters since it doesn't play.

This hasn't started happening to me since the iTunes7 and iPod 1.1.1 update. Anyone else confirm with reset problems that they also have those updates.

they need 10-15% free space for swap, to work around. if you fill an ipod too full, it will crash. i'm not sure if this is HFS mac format, or if FAT32 also has these problems.... anyone care to chip in on this?

Back