G4 Sawtooth won't boot unless I hit the reset button by the battery on mobo

rowcroft

Registered
For some reason my G4 Sawtooth won't boot unless I hit the reset button first. I've tried a new battery, hard drive, video card, ram, resetting the PRAM, unplugging everythign. Nothing will work- The only thing I haven't been able to test is the CPU, I have a PowerLogix CPU upgrade installed. Do you think it could be the processor? It happened right after my system locked up and I had to turn it off manually. Any ideas would be very helpful! Thanks!

Rowcroft

That's my next step, but I installed the processor in a friends system that had a 350mhz proc (mine was 450). I'll see if I can't get the 350 from him and try that. Do you think it could be the processor? It was running fine for about a month. Thanks!

Rowcroft

You might want to take any ram you've installed first and see if that helps, but it could be the processor. I have a Powerlogic 1GHz prosessor, almost from when they first came out, and haven't had any problems.

Have you tried letting the computer just sit and see what happens when you first start it up with the power button? There are some hardware warming up issues and other things that go on that could just be delaying the startup time that don't occur when you hit the reset button...

How long do you give your computer before you hit the reset button?

I've tried the ram bit, and I've tried leaving it for various extended periods of time. The reset button I'm referring to is the one by the battery on the motherboard- still trying to figure this darn issue out! Thanks!

Rowcroft

Well, I plug in a 350Mhz and it works, just without the Pwrlgx cpu upgrade. I've tried to get in touch with there support but apparently they don't provide it on this model, I have to go through a 3rd party. Overall, not a good experience. Any possiblity that this could be the powersupply? Other then ebay, is there a good place to find a rep. power supply just in case? Thanks,

Rowcroft

If it works without the upgrade card, then I would think it is the card that is causing trouble.

I agree, but I was thinking it could be a problem with the power supply not able to get it enough power to start. If I hit the CUDA button, it will start and run fine. Hopefully they'll get back to me with a replacement soon....

Could be either power supply or the processor. Powerlogix rumored to be doing very bad, so you may have a problem. Support on their products seems to be almost non existent now.

Back