G5 iMac probability?

RyanLang

Charlie Brown
I've had a powermac since 2001 and it's my first mac and has treated me extremely well. I'm getting to that point where I'd like to upgrade and I'm obviously crazy about the G5, but I'm thinking a powermac is too much for me and I really don't care for the loud fan noise when compared to an iMac. Based on the 90 nanometer 970 chips that are now in Xserves, what do you guys think the probability of a G5 iMac will be in 2004? I know it's going to happen someday, but I'm basically wondering if I should wait all that time for the G5 model to come out. It's not like I have the money now to buy, so there will be a waiting period, just curious to see if you guys have heard any rumors. Thanks - Ryan

It'll probably be at least a year out, but sooner or later it'll happen. The G4 is really showing age and has had very few if any real updates recently. Chances are they'll rebadge the PPC980 as a G6 when it's introduced, which isn't too far out, so it seems logical that the G5 would become the consumer line processor.

Of course this is Apple we're talking about, so we should expect the unexpected <G>. Who would have thought about the iPod, iTMS / HP thing before now?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say we'll see G5 Powerbooks by MWNY this year and G5 iMacs by MWSF next January. Of course, this is just a wild guess as I know no more than any of you.

Only guessing: I think we'll see iMacs based on the G5 by MacWorld in July 2004. The 90nm chips are okay for them, if run at lower speeds, like say 1.8 or max. 2.0 GHz. For PowerBooks, Apple could use 1.6 GHz (max!) in the same timeframe.

I think we will see them this year too. Maybe they will look the same but in colored aluminum like the new iPod mini's

Matthew

I think that the G5 will be in the iMac
in the next revision--they can't go any
higher with the G4 processor speeds
from what they have now--worst case
would be a 1.42Ghz iMac G4 before the
G5 iMac--hopefully not, no more moto please

While the small enclosure of the iMac has some of the cooling problems of the PoerBooks, it doesn't have the battery problem. So I think it will be easier to make a G5 iMac than a G5 PowerBook. Nevertheless, it wouldn't be right to put the better processor in the consumer machines first. So I'm not really sure whether we will se an iMac G5 before the PB G5 ...

Back