Got Parallels and Win XP today / Go ahead and install XP via Boot Camp anyway?

joegrant413

Registered
Hi,

I just got Parallels and Windows XP Pro Sp3. After reading the Parallels doc, I see that Parallels will run Win XP somehow off of an install via Boot Camp.

Should I just go ahead and install Win XP via Boot Camp then? I figure that way, I can have Win XP two ways on my Mac -- either via a reboot or via Parallels. And if I don't like Parallels, I can just go with the rebooting.

Does this makes sense? One potential downside I see is if Parallels really runs Win XP better when installed via Parallels.

Since I'm expecting a lot of time to do the install and tweaks thereafter, any advice from real world user would be appreciated. BTW, I won't be running PC games on Win XP, but instead some business applications -- other than Office.

Thanks,
-- Joe

Yes, you can do this, and no, Parallels doesn't run any better if you install Windows XP via Parallels or via BootCamp.

Just remember to install the Parallels Virtual Machine Tools when you boot Windows XP under Parallels for the first time.

Thanks, that helps. Sounds like a "no lose" situation to install Windows via Boot Camp first, so long as follow the instruction when I try to run it under Parallels.

-- Joe

Back